Your personal choice of "most tragic" character in the assassination story
09-10-2012, 01:09 PM
RE: Your personal choice of "most tragic" character in the assassination story
(09-09-2012 03:08 PM)BettyO Wrote:  Maddie -

The photo of young Powell as a 15 year old in Alias is a CDV which was made from an ambrotype.

CDV's (short for the French Carte de Visite) were very, very popular -

This is a good site which explains the process for these albumen photographs. http://www.photographymuseum.com/histsw.htm

Here is a CDV of Lewis Powell which was made by Gardner and sold in his studio -

[Image: myltpcdv.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks for uploading, Betty! - How weird that they made this CDV of Powell for selling!

Did Gardner take pictures of all the assassins and how good did they sell? Bestsellers? Does anyone know? Was it like collecting baseball or soccer cards? I read those CDVs were not that expensive. How popular was it to own them?

I don't think any of the assassins did know why they were photographed/daguerreotyped (?). I assume, especially Powell would have become even more angry and desperate if he had known that Gardner sold his picture.

It's interesting that Gardner chose this picture, Powells grim facial expression. It really transfers his image of being the cold blooded berserk.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Your personal choice of "most tragic" character in the assassination story - Claudine - 09-10-2012 01:09 PM