Your personal choice of "most tragic" character in the assassination story
09-09-2012, 10:46 AM
RE: Your personal choice of "most tragic" character in the assassination story
(07-24-2012 01:28 PM)BettyO Wrote:  I would have to vote for Fanny Seward as well as Mrs. Seward - both died shortly after Lew Powell's attack - more or less brought on by the horror of that night - Fanny by consumption and Mrs. Seward, whose heart was affected.

Annie Surratt was an extremely tragic person as well....

Also tragic, I feel, are the parents and family of Lew Powell. Lew's parents suffered dreadfully. They moved again (after having moved about a year earlier) further into the Florida backwoods, in fear that some neighbors would retaliate against them. I also recently found out that shortly after the execution some cruel person anomalously sent Mr and Mrs Powell a package of CDV photographs showing Lewis in every possible position while hanging - certainly a hateful thing to do to grieving parents. Their son made a serious mistake and paid for it with his life - but why make the parents, who knew nothing of it, pay? Folk could be just as cruel and mean in the Victorian era as they are nowadays....

What is CDV?

‘I’ve danced at Abraham Lincoln’s birthday bash... I’ve peaked.’
Leigh Boswell - The Open Doorway.
http://earthkandi.blogspot.co.uk/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Your personal choice of "most tragic" character in the assassination story - MaddieM - 09-09-2012 10:46 AM