Your personal choice of "most tragic" character in the assassination story
07-24-2012, 01:28 PM (This post was last modified: 07-24-2012 01:29 PM by BettyO.)
RE: Your personal choice of "most tragic" character in the assassination story
I would have to vote for Fanny Seward as well as Mrs. Seward - both died shortly after Lew Powell's attack - more or less brought on by the horror of that night - Fanny by consumption and Mrs. Seward, whose heart was affected.

Annie Surratt was an extremely tragic person as well....

Also tragic, I feel, are the parents and family of Lew Powell. Lew's parents suffered dreadfully. They moved again (after having moved about a year earlier) further into the Florida backwoods, in fear that some neighbors would retaliate against them. I also recently found out that shortly after the execution some cruel person anomalously sent Mr and Mrs Powell a package of CDV photographs showing Lewis in every possible position while hanging - certainly a hateful thing to do to grieving parents. Their son made a serious mistake and paid for it with his life - but why make the parents, who knew nothing of it, pay? Folk could be just as cruel and mean in the Victorian era as they are nowadays....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Your personal choice of "most tragic" character in the assassination story - BettyO - 07-24-2012 01:28 PM