Mary Lincoln's presence at Abraham's death-bed
09-22-2014, 07:05 AM (This post was last modified: 09-22-2014 07:07 AM by BettyO.)
RE: Mary Lincoln's presence at Abraham's death-bed
Quote:mercurichrome, merthiolate, castoria, gentian violet

Oh yes, I remember all those - and I also found something left over from my childhood that my mom used to give us for coughs - Creomulsion! Yes, it used to have creosote in it and yes, it was the same stuff that they used to paint fence posts and wood with..... but it was good tasting and yes, I can still find it at the small local pharmacy here in Mechanicsville, VA....but it no longer has creosote in it; still cures coughs, though!

I, too remember mercurichrome, methiolate, and gentian violet. By the way, they still use gentian violet for horses. One of my college classmates fox hunts and once came to class a few years ago with her hands covered in what looked like purple paint. She had been using it on her horse. We used it on our horse years ago when he had cracked heels (or quarter cracks as it's called) - he was a pinto; primarily a white horse and he had purple heels and lower legs for months after that episode - cured him, though!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mary Lincoln's presence at Abraham's death-bed - BettyO - 09-22-2014 07:05 AM