Mention of Lincoln in The Australian newspaper
06-03-2023, 03:36 AM
Mention of Lincoln in The Australian newspaper
There's often a mention and I really thought I ought to at least pass this one on.
It shows that Lincoln's ideas reverberate still ...

"But it is worth remembering that Abraham Lincoln, in declaring that “A house divided against itself cannot stand”, warned that the nation’s utmost need was to understand “where we are and whither we are tending”. As we enter a period of high tension, Australians deserve better than another leap in the dark."

("Why voice referendum can’t afford to repeat error of 1967", The Australian, Henry Ergas ... behind a Paywall I think )

It comes at the end of an article concerned with a Referendum which will occur here in Nov/Dec. "Alter the Constitution to recognise the First Peoples of Australia by establishing an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice. Do you approve this proposed alteration? "

On the face of it this makes sense. Indigenous peoples have suffered thru poor facilities and ineffective welfare. There are though issues to be considered (and Yes supporters will argue they are all covered) ...

How will the people expressing that 'Voice' be chosen? (Many Australians claim to have Indigenous ancestry)

Will the executive arm of Govt (i.e the 'Management' people) as well as Parliament need to take note of the "Voice".

What if the Govt chooses not to do as the "Voice" wishes? (the Constitution is the supreme decider)

Importantly ... some people believe that this alteration would introduce a racial divide in that Indigenous people would have a "Voice" to Parliament, but the other Australians would not.

If interested in more ...
https://www.reconciliation.org.au/reconc...arliament/

https://deakin.libguides.com/voice-to-parliament/no

“The honest man, tho' e'er sae poor,
Is king o' men for a' that” Robert Burns
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Mention of Lincoln in The Australian newspaper - AussieMick - 06-03-2023 03:36 AM