Constitutionality of the Debt Limit
05-10-2023, 10:52 AM
RE: Constitutionality of the Debt Limit
Steve,

I'm not sure that is a fair reading of Tribe's quote. I don't see him as saying the President can disregard any law, but rather in a narrow situation where the government would collapse without quick action from the executive.

But even for the sake of argument, history is full of Presidents ignoring laws they find inconvenient. A clear example would be the War Powers Act. President after president has done end runs around it in several instances, saying their actions "were consistent with" the act rather than pursuant to it. To be honest, I don't know that a true reading of the act wouldn't find it unconstitutional, but then I'm no Constitutional scholar and I'm sure those who are could tear my argument to shreds.

It seems to me, however, that the Constitution is clear that the debt of the United States cannot be repudiated and that to allow the House to cause the U.S. to default on its obligations is more theater than heart-felt policy differences.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Constitutionality of the Debt Limit - Rob Wick - 05-10-2023 10:52 AM