Nominations as One of President Lincoln's Finest Speeches
03-23-2023, 04:37 PM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2023 05:13 PM by David Lockmiller.)
RE: Nominations as One of President Lincoln's Finest Speeches
(03-23-2023 04:55 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Yes, I am aware of the Whitney version of the Lost Speech.

In the Abraham Lincoln Encyclopedia Dr. Mark E. Neely, Jr. writes as follows regarding Abraham Lincoln's Lost Speech:

"Henry Clay Whitney later claimed to have made notes on the occasion, and in 1896 he sold McClure's Magazine the text of the speech, which the magazine published in its September issue. Joseph M. Medill, who had heard the speech, endorsed it as a 'close reproduction,' but John G. Nicolay, who also had heard it, thought it spurious. Nicolay was vindicated in 1930 when a brief account of the speech was found in the Alton Courier of June 5, 1856. The description differed so markedly from Whitney's version that no one now accepts Whitney's account."

Roger, I thought that I was going to let you know something that you did not know.

Then, you let me know that what I thought to be the truth was incorrect.

Thanks, Roger. As Lincoln said "If history is not the truth, it's not history." [or, words to that effect]

Professor Burlingame references the (Alton Courier of June 5, 1856 story at Abraham Lincoln: A Life, Volume One, page 418, footnote 43. In turn, this footnote references Complete Works of Lincoln, Vol. 2, page 341.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Nominations as One of President Lincoln's Finest Speeches - David Lockmiller - 03-23-2023 04:37 PM