Original Lincoln Home Cottage to be Reconstructed
11-03-2021, 10:22 AM
RE: Original Lincoln Home Cottage to be Reconstructed
Thank you for another thorough and sorry for my late reply, Norman - I skimmed your links and will check them out more in-depth ASAP (busy schedule including night-and weekend shifts, a thesis to write and upcoming final exams) - please allow me a quick answer to your question "why". One answer is personal - I am a visual "person", I need to see things to "capture" and comprehend them. I - truth to be told - don't know what a half-story house would look have looked and felt like when standing inside. Re: "You speak of learning about the 'early years, '” - NO, I spoke about the beginning (a point, a start, not a period) and the final ending (the last point the Lincolns reached" privately"). The time span in between and the entire development is better accessible to imagination with those two cornerstones. An even more personal "why" is that I would prefer to see the more "humble " place because I dislike palaces. (I am surrounded by old palaces, I have seen more than enough to the point that I find the luxury disgusting - and it's quite easy to live in such places.) I am generally more interested in experiencing what common people's living conditions looked like back then. The "on the other hand" - answer is that of a former teacher - from experience I know what is more and what less interesting for kids, and experiencing a development (beginning and end) has more to offer to them to think and talk about.
These answers, however, ignore the financial objection, I just wanted to explain explain why I (and possibly kids) would love this experience. I also love Anita's idea of a virtual 3D-way to tour the Dresser home instead of a solid replica - to me it seems a reasonable compromise. (And kids would for sure love that.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Original Lincoln Home Cottage to be Reconstructed - Eva Elisabeth - 11-03-2021 10:22 AM