Original Lincoln Home Cottage to be Reconstructed
10-27-2021, 10:06 AM
RE: Original Lincoln Home Cottage to be Reconstructed
I was happy to see people weighing in on both sides of the Lincoln cottage issue. We can agree to disagree. I fear that neither side will convince the other.

Roger, I probably should have used a term other than diorama to describe the Dana House display of the changes to the Lincoln home over the years. They are actual models in cases around which one can walk and, therefore, see the details of the changes.

Yes, the Lincoln neighborhood is an outdoor museum, preserving what was there when the Lincolns resided in the neighborhood. The final decisions about what would remain were based on historical records and archaeological investigations. New Salem was reconstructed based on extensive archaeological investigations (although the location of the reconstructed Rutledge tavern is on the wrong site) and on plats and maps of the original village. Structures are basically where they were in the 1830s.

The same exists for places like Williamsburg, VA. Some buildings had to be reconstructed, but were based on historical records and on archaeology. The Mt. Vernon mansion is vastly different from when George Washington assumed ownership of the plantation because he made extensive changes to the structure. I doubt if the Mount Vernon Ladies Association would ever countenance building a replica of the "original" home on the site.

The Lincoln cottage project is going to involve a great deal of money, funds that perhaps could maintain other Lincoln sites that are not being well-maintained by the fiscally bankrupt State of Illinois.

As I stated at the start of this polemic, we can agree to disagree.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Original Lincoln Home Cottage to be Reconstructed - Joe Di Cola - 10-27-2021 10:06 AM