In San Francisco, Virus is Contained but Schools Are Still Closed
03-11-2021, 08:07 PM
RE: In San Francisco, Virus is Contained but Schools Are Still Closed
Quote:Rob, why didn't you just write a Reply to my actual email which I now quote:

I did. That you can't see it is your problem.

You know David, Ida Tarbell constantly preached against your kind of thought. She warned that turning Lincoln into a plaster saint would remove him, and more important, the lessons he could teach future generations, from the national dialogue. There is nothing wrong with admiration and attempting to show students exactly how nuance should affect our views of historical figures, but your contention that students who approach renaming a school might have a "hidden agenda" just shows that you need a lesson in nuance as well.

Most people in this country see the San Fransisco board's actions for what they are--a joke. The bad publicity that the board has received from the national and international press shows just how serious one should take their efforts. That you're making this into a holy crusade gives it a sheen of seriousness that it doesn't deserve. You are doing your cause more harm than good.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: In San Francisco, Virus is Contained but Schools Are Still Closed - Rob Wick - 03-11-2021 08:07 PM