Jacob Lawrence Painting, Missing for Decades, Is Found by Met Visitor
10-25-2020, 05:36 PM
RE: Jacob Lawrence Painting, Missing for Decades, Is Found by Met Visitor
(10-25-2020 03:21 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Interesting post, David! Thank you.

George Washington -- 1st President of the United States: 1789 ‐ 1797
Seventh Annual Address to Congress
December 08, 1795

"It is a valuable ingredient in the general estimate of our welfare that the part of our country which was lately the scene of disorder and insurrection now enjoys the blessings of quiet and order. The misled have abandoned their errors, and pay the respect to our Constitution and laws which is due from good citizens to the public authorities of the society. These circumstances have induced me to pardon generally the offenders here referred to, and to extend forgiveness to those who had been adjudged to capital punishment. For though I shall always think it a sacred duty to exercise with firmness and energy the constitutional powers with which I am vested, yet it appears to me no less consistent with the public good than it is with my personal feelings to mingle in the operations of Government every degree of moderation and tenderness which the national justice, dignity, and safety may permit."

I wonder if the high-lighted section influenced President Abraham Lincoln in drafting his own amnesty proclamation.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jacob Lawrence Painting, Missing for Decades, Is Found by Met Visitor - David Lockmiller - 10-25-2020 05:36 PM