President Lincoln vignettes in F.B. Carpenter's "Six Months at the White House"
10-24-2023, 08:23 PM
RE: President Lincoln vignettes in F.B. Carpenter's "Six Months at the White House"
Quote:Were not both authors using the same basic historical materials in order to write on the same subject?

So what? One of the first things you learn in a historical methods class is that presenting evidence alone is not what makes history but rather the interpretation and analysis of that evidence, then putting it into a narrative form. Historians can look at the same evidence and come up with two totally separate conclusions.

Quote:A "Reality Check" for Seward, according to Burton Hendrick, in Lincoln's War Cabinet, page 361:

Two days after Lincoln had submitted his original paper, Seward wrote John Lothrop Motley, minister to Austria, inquiring: "Are you sure that today, under the seductions and pressures that could be applied to some European powers, they would not rise up and resist an attempt to bestow freedom upon the laborers whose capacity to supply cotton and open a market for European fabrics depends, or is thought to depend, upon their continuance in bondage?" Motley's almost thunderous negation, "A thousand time No!" was evidently not exactly the response which Seward had hoped to elicit.

Motley's response to Seward was an indication by Hendrick that not everyone believed the same as Seward. To me, it's no more than providing a different interpretation and is something real historians do.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: President Lincoln vignettes in F.B. Carpenter's "Six Months at the White House" - Rob Wick - 10-24-2023 08:23 PM