President Lincoln vignettes in F.B. Carpenter's "Six Months at the White House"
05-04-2018, 04:00 PM
President Lincoln vignettes in F.B. Carpenter's "Six Months at the White House"
When [President Lincoln] had thought profoundly upon certain measures, and felt sure of his ground, criticism, either public or private, did not disturb him. Upon the appearance of what was known as the "Wade and Davis manifesto," subsequent to his renomination, an intimate friend and supporter, who was very indignant that such a document should have been put forth just previous to the election, took occasion to animadvert [meaning "to comment unfavorably or critically"] very severely upon the course that prompted it. "It is not worth fretting about," said the President; "it reminds me of an old acquaintance, who, having a son of a scientific turn, bought him a microscope. The boy went around, experimenting with his glass upon everything that came in his way. One day, at the dinner-table, his father took up a piece of cheese. 'Don't eat that, father, said the boy; 'it is full of wrigglers.' 'My son,' replied the old gentleman, taking, at the same time, a huge bite, 'let 'em wriggle; I can stand it if they can.'"

Source -- "Six Months at the White House" page 145.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
President Lincoln vignettes in F.B. Carpenter's "Six Months at the White House" - David Lockmiller - 05-04-2018 04:00 PM