1860 Census and Phillip Dinkell
12-20-2015, 07:51 PM
RE: 1860 Census and Phillip Dinkell
Wasn't he still living with Joshua Speed during part of 1840? >

Susan is correct. Lincoln was living there. Speed's store was located at the corner of Fifth and Washington Streets, but I do not have the address.>

Thanks both for the suggestions. Yes, from what I see that should be Abraham Lincoln's official address in the 1840 census. In a 'census sense', I look at that as 'boarding' at that address. In 1850 and later censuses, I know that in such situations, a multi-occupied dwelling would list the owner and then the various 'boarders'. But, I'm not sure if in the early censuses such as 1840 would not also list a boarder by name.
As I said, several genealogies mistakenly claim he was the Abram Lincoln listed 1840 in Hancock county, Illinois. But that was his 1st cousin Abraham son of Mordecai Lincoln. The biographies say that Joshua Speed left Springfield soon, January 1841. And Abraham Lincoln was traveling as an elector for William Harrison, and might not have been in Springfield on that census day...if that would make a difference to the census taker? I'm looking at an odd listing which could possibly be Mr Lincoln in the 1840, and want to do some more checking before I cite it here, for others to
view and assess.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1860 Census and Phillip Dinkell - maharba - 12-20-2015 07:51 PM