Did JWB visit Mary's boarding house after the assassination?
02-23-2015, 01:51 PM (This post was last modified: 02-23-2015 02:29 PM by STS Lincolnite.)
RE: Did JWB visit Mary's boarding house after the assassination?
(02-23-2015 12:47 PM)Gene C Wrote:  I'm sure the witnesses were "coached" to answer only questions they were asked and not to add any additional information not asked for. It was the prosecutions fault for not directly asking Weichmann.

I think this is right on. I know it is typical today for witnesses to be directed to answer only the questions posed to them and not to elaborate or offer opinions. I assume it was the same in 1865.

(02-23-2015 12:41 PM)Susan Higginbotham Wrote:  In his book, Weichmann said that he and Mrs. Surratt got home from Surrattsville at half past eight, that he then returned the rented horse and buggy to the stable, and that while he was at supper, he heard the doorbell ring and that Mrs. Surratt answered it. He said that Mrs. Surratt had been expecting a visitor at nine that evening and that this visitor was Booth.

Weichmann testified at the conspiracy trial that he and Mrs. Surratt got back to Washington around 8:30 or 9:00 and that about 10 minutes later, while he was eating supper, someone rang the doorbell and Mrs. Surratt answered it. (That would have seemed an ideal time for him to recall Anna's alleged statement about Booth visiting an hour before the assassination, or Mrs. Surratt having told him she was expecting a visitor.)

So Weichmann's and Olivia's recollections are consistent as to the 9:00 p.m. supper and as to someone ringing the doorbell, though not in any other respect. (For what it's worth, Olivia said that she didn't hear the bell ring at any other time that night except when her own visitor came. Her age of 19 comes from census records and her tombstone at Mount Olivet, which gives a birthdate of 1846.)

Thanks Susan, that helps a lot. In my day supper was at 6:00. If you weren't there at 6:00 you got your own plate later (if there was anything left! Smile ). But I suppose that it would make sense that in 1860s it would be common to wait for the lady of the house before commencing with supper.

I suppose Weichmann and Miss Jenkins could both be right. It could be that Mrs. Surratt was expecting Booth (and told Weichmann so) but that he didn't show up. Weichmann would have thought it was Booth (because he was expected) that rang the bell but instead it was the man (Captain Scott) delivering Miss Jenkins' papers that rang the doorbell.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did JWB visit Mary's boarding house after the assassination? - STS Lincolnite - 02-23-2015 01:51 PM