The Cause of All Nations: An International History of the American Civil War
12-14-2014, 12:16 AM
RE: The Cause of All Nations: An International History of the American Civil War
(12-13-2014 07:30 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Thanks for the Seward lesson. Your answer is more like what I had as an impression of Seward from my little bit of schooling on him. Having visited his home in Auburn and seen the masses of things that he was given on the continent and in diplomatic circles, it is hard to think that the Europeans had anything but respect for Mr. Seward.

Palmerston and the British governing class distrusted and feared Seward, and the French thought he drank too much and was a little crazy.
But both governments feared war with the U.S. and feared popular opposition to such a war from those who began to see America fighting against slavery and the aristocracy, or so they saw it. I would love to visit Sewards house.
Thanks for the kind words all.
Amazon says they guarantee delivery by Dec 19

Don H. Doyle, author of The Cause of All Nations: An International History of America's Civil War, Basic Books. https://www.facebook.com/causeofallnations
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Cause of All Nations: An International History of the American Civil War - Don1946 - 12-14-2014 12:16 AM