More on Stringfellow, and his exit from Washington.
12-01-2014, 12:41 AM
RE: More on Stringfellow, and his exit from Washington.
"HISTORY" is not always an exact record of what happened. "HISTORY" is a series of events written by someone who has something they want to tell - but it is not always exactly what happened. My earlier post on Stringfellow, may be an example of this phenomenon. Once you know more about Stringfellow, you may accept my position.

Stringfellow was a very short man. So small the he was rejected by 5 or 6 different military groups, when he volunteered to serve with them. He was about 5'-6' tall, and weighed less than 100 pounds. He was so small and thin that on several occasions he dressed as a woman and went to dances - all in the name of "intelligence gathering". One not so gallant Union Officer propositioned her,and when they went outside, she took him prisoner. On another occasion, his mother was ill and hospitalized in a Union Hospital. Stringfellow wanted her to have the best of care, so, he dressed as a female nurse and stayed with her, until she was ready to go home. It's easy to put on a disguise and pass for somebody else, but in this case she needed the mannerisms of a female, which not everyone can do. Apparently, he did.

With all this in mind, I have some doubts about the veracity of the Post that I provided. I can't believe that there was a female detective present. I believe that Stringfellow was the " female at the party. I believe that they partied long and hard, before someone proposed a toast to Lincoln and it was readily accomplished. In the process, I believe that Stringfellow mumbled a wish to toast Jefferson Davis. She may or may not have been overheard by others. Stringfellow was too good a spy to jeopardize his mission to have "shouted it out". It appears that she was not arrested immediately but left for home promptly.

Let me divert for a minute to examine his apparent faux pas. He could not have made such a stupid mistake. If Stringfellow actually wrote the material that I presented in the Post, and the Author of "Stringfellow of the Fourth" used it, then Stringfellow was extending his skills as a spy on to posterity. I can't believe she would have been allowed to leave the hall. He is hiding other events from us.

Let's examine how or when he got arrested. My guess is that the Detective took his date home, so he knew where she lived, thus he knew where to look for her. At this point, the Union didn't know who they were dealing with. I suppose the Detective reported her Davis remarks, and his Boss said bring her in. Now comes what must have been the funny part. When the Detective went back to the house, was Stringfellow still in 'drag'? He could have said " Wait, I'll call her" and he went and put on a dress. I say that because he had to be a woman that was picked up. This may also explain why she was released after she apologized for her remarks. (Not an escape!).

It would be interesting to know whether or not the Detectives ever learned that one of their own, was dating a "Crass Dresser"?

To close this out, let me comment on the often used method for Spies to escape. I have read often that they hid under a "Hoop Skirt". NO WAY! First, there isn't room enough for two people in a the same skirt. I just don't believe the claim. Secondly, No self respecting lady would allow a male to get under her skirt, for any lame reason. (Notice, I said Lady) but I can see Him wearing one of her hoop skirts to effect an escape.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: More on Stringfellow, and his exit from Washington. - SSlater - 12-01-2014 12:41 AM