Did Robert Lincoln Ride the Funeral Train to Baltimore?
05-03-2015, 10:01 AM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2015 10:59 AM by LincolnToddFan.)
RE: Did Robert Lincoln Ride the Funeral Train to Baltimore?
I still think Mary Harlan was wrong.

If I disliked my mother-in-law so much that even death couldn't resolve my petty hate, I would simply have arranged that my coffin not be buried anywhere near hers in the Tomb. I would not have overridden my husband's expectation, expressed explicitly in writing, that he would be interred in the grand Lincoln Tomb with his birth family. Despite the fact that Robert was not as close to his parents as his siblings he took great pride in his father and his family name.

When Jack died he made a point to bring him all the way to Springfield...to the LINCOLN TOMB. Why would he do that? And how dare Mary disinter him after Robert had already lain the boy to rest?? Robert lived a very long time, past the age of eighty. That is plenty of time for he and Mary to have discussed alternative burial arrangements. Apparently Robert did not have an alternative wish so Mary came up with one when he was no longer in a position to oppose her. Spouses who love one another don't normally do such a thing.

She allegedly wanted to give Robert his "place in the sun" but she achieved just the opposite. Most people don't even notice his gravesite on the way to view JFK's.Sad

If Mary Harlan had died before Robert, there is no doubt in my mind that her remains would now be at the Lincoln Tomb, at the side of her husband.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did Robert Lincoln Ride the Funeral Train to Baltimore? - LincolnToddFan - 05-03-2015 10:01 AM