U.S. Grant from April 15 -26, 1865
11-20-2014, 08:03 PM
RE: U.S. Grant from April 15 -26, 1865
(11-20-2014 05:11 PM)PaigeBooth Wrote:  Laurie, I looked online and could not find anything stating exactly what Grant was doing from the time he arrived in DC until Booth's death. Apparently, however, a rumor was going around on April 23rd saying Grant was heading south. Julia Grant was upset by this rumor and wrote a letter you can read here: http://www.raabcollection.com/ulysses-s-...incoln-mrs

Not sure how reputable this information is.????

Thank you, Paige! While Grant did not head south, this letter certainly shows the fear for his life that Mrs. Grant was going through. It does seem strange that the General wasn't getting word to his wife about what he was doing.

I can sympathize with Julia's fears. My father was assigned to an ammo dump in Korea during that war. One day, my mother heard on the news that a dump had blown up in the same area where Dad was. She did not hear from him for two weeks and panic reigned supreme.

He finally wrote that it was the dump "on the other side of the mountain," but that they had all been so busy cleaning up and retrieving bodies that no one could send out communications. My mother held up by reminding herself that a chaplain wasn't knocking on our door either...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: U.S. Grant from April 15 -26, 1865 - L Verge - 11-20-2014 08:03 PM