Thank You Richard and Kellie Gutman!
10-30-2014, 05:05 PM
RE: Thank You Richard and Kellie Gutman!
(10-30-2014 01:56 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Most of these were taken on a very early Booth Tour (note that our first carriages were school buses!). That said, many of the faces are not even familiar to me because they were "general public" who paid to go on one of the Surratt tours. Here's what/who I can identify:

1. Close-up of the two-inch piece of what is believed to be part of Booth's crutch retrieved from the burning barn.
2. The back-drop is the tennis courts at Ft. McNair, marking the site of the execution of four conspirators in 1865. Pictured are Nancy Griffith (former Surratt Society president), John Brennan, Kellie Gutman, James O. Hall, Ken Griffith, Joan Chaconas, and Pep Martin (expert on the Arnolds and O'Laughlens).
3. Mike Kauffman
4. James O. Hall and a Prince George's County Police historian that I cannot remember the name of are the only two I recognize. The policeman has his head down in the right side of the photo.
5. Louise Arehart (fading off the left side) in blue outfit, Mike Kauffman, and Ray Martin.
6. Same three with Pep Martin in back left gesturing.
7. Art Loux in light jacket with back showing, Kellie, and Richard Gutman
8. Kellie Gutman and Mike Kauffman at the river's edge at Dent's Meadow.
9. Kellie and the historical marker - that has just disappeared from the Garrett site within the past few weeks.
10. Pep and Ray Martin with Janet Abshier (former Surratt docent)
11. Miss Maude Motley, owner of the sliver of crutch and one of the last of the great Southern ladies.
12. Kellie Gutman holding Booth's walking stick.

Every now and then the brain starts to work again. The policeman in #4 that I could not remember the name of is Dennis Campbell (head down in brown jacket). He was so cute, especially in his uniform, that we loved having him around. To keep it all in the family, he was writing the history of our county police force at that time and had been given the assignment by Chief John McHale, husband of Mary Mudd McHale, a great-granddaughter of Dr. Samuel Mudd and daughter of Dr. Richard Mudd.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Thank You Richard and Kellie Gutman! - L Verge - 10-30-2014 05:05 PM