George Atzerodt's Little girl Edith
07-13-2014, 12:15 AM
George Atzerodt's Little girl Edith
This search is a mess. I hope we can make sense - someday.

I think we all agree that George Atzerodt and Elizabeth Adams Boswell were "an item" in Port Tobacco in the early 1860's, and they had a daughter, EDITH. My goal is to find Edith.

Do we all believe that Elizabeth had been married to Charles H Wheeler? and had 5 children - all girls. He died in 1853.

Then a Henry O. Rose, of D.C., occupied the other half of Elizabeth's "Beauty rest" for awhile. There is a Henry O. Rose shown in the D.C. City Directory (I didn't find a wife.) He was a Clerk/ Book Keeper at the Nat. Bank of Washington.

Then along came George Atzerodt, who did not marry Elizabeth, but he won her heart and they had Edith. But he apparently dumped her long before April of 1865. I base that statement on her remarks to the Provost Marshal, after her arrest. The Marshall was looking for Atzerodt, but she would not squeal on him. She said she still loved him and would not betray him. This grubby reticent George, who is not an Errol Flynn, must have been pretty good at what he did. I guess he got her pregnant, but wasn't a Fatherly type.

Up to this exact point, I believed that the little girl was his motive for all the that he did. I thought he wanted to raise her and give her a good life. I was wrong.

The Marshal realized the George was long gone, so he arrested the person who was her current kanoodler, a Mr. Nicholas Crangle.

This is a totally new name to me. I never heard of him before this.

Naturally, he gives a Statement to the Marshalls. He said he married "Miss Adams, which was Mrs. W's maiden name." IMO, his belief is all wrong. She was Elizabeth Adams Boswell. Notice that when she married Wheeler, she became Elizabeth B. (for Boswell) Wheeler. Typically, when a lady marries, she assumes her maiden name as her new middle name - but not always. It is her choice.

Now that Crangle married Elizabeth, how did he deal with Edith? Did he adopt her -formally or informally? I donno. But, I assume that Elizabeth took the Crangle name. I have no idea if Elizabeth continued to change her bed partner every time they changed the sheets, but I am searching for Elizabeth Crangle now. That applies to Edith too. I have found that an EDITH CRANGLE, BORN 1863, died in New York, New York on 19 Oct. 1898. (Nothing more said.)

I have sent for a Death Certificate to see if the lady is "Atzerodt's Little Girl Edith."

PS. If anyone would like to look further, or differently, feel free to Quote, or use, this information. I am busy with Sarah.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
George Atzerodt's Little girl Edith - SSlater - 07-13-2014 12:15 AM