"Clouds of Glory: The Life and Legend of Robert E. Lee"
07-03-2014, 06:52 PM
RE: "Clouds of Glory: The Life and Legend of Robert E. Lee"
(07-03-2014 06:00 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  The author gave an interview on the radio today with Dennis Prager. He mention the incident about Lee kneeling in the church in Richmond with a black man. I kind of thought that story was more or less a myth. Am I wrong? The author told it as a fact.

There is an article about it in the April 16, 1905 Richmond Times Dispatch, "Negro Communed at St. Paul's Church."

According to Colonel T.L. Broun who attended service at St. Paul's in Richmond in June 1866, a "'tall, well dressed Negro man, very black'" approached the communion table. "'Its effect upon the communicants was startling, and for several moments they retained their seats in solemn silence, and did not move, being deeply chagrined at this attempt of the Federal authorities, to offensively humiliate them during their most devoted church services. Dr. Minnegerode looked embarrassed.
"'General Robert E. Lee was present, and he, ignoring the action and very presence of the negro, immediately arose, in his usual dignified and self-possessed manner, walked up the aisle of the church to the chancel rail and reverently knelt down to partake of the communion and not far from where the negro was.
"'This lofty conception of duty by General Lee, under such provoking and irritating circumstances, had a magic effect on the other communicants, who immediately went forward to the communion table. I, being one of the number, did likewise.
"'By this action of General Lee, the services were concluded, as if the negro had not been present. It was a grand exhibition of superiority shown by a true Christian and great soldier under the most trying offensive circumstances.'"

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/s...-1/seq-21/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread