Your guess: "angels" or "ages?"
10-20-2013, 09:50 AM
RE: Your guess: "angels" or "ages?"
Quote:Betty, this was new to me. Was it like that just in America (with all the multiple Protestant denominations) or also in Britain? The problem I have with the term "angels" (and that's why I posted the painting) is that for me, who as an Evangelic grew up in a Catholic area, angels (like the worshipping of saints, the pope and the principle of trinity) are intrinsically tied to the Catholic faith rather than to the Evangelic believe. Is this different in other Protestant denominations? (Do others worship angels like the Catholic do?)

It appears that most mourning literature that I've seen involves angels - and this was primarily in a Protestant sense (especially Episcopalian.) I have also seen in it Baptist and Methodist faiths as well (I'm Southern Baptist)....women and children were more or less regarded on earth as "God's angels" - and you see this repeated in literature regarding the deaths of the same; children regarded as "angels; lambs, etc." Women were also referred to as "The Angel in the house"....so this was repeated quite a bit in the sentimental literature of the period.

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Your guess: "angels" or "ages?" - Rhatkinson - 10-20-2013, 09:12 AM
RE: Your guess: "angels" or "ages?" - BettyO - 10-20-2013 09:50 AM
RE: Your guess: "angels" or "ages?" - Hess1865 - 10-21-2013, 09:04 PM