"Our One Common Country" author talk in Stratford, CT
08-26-2014, 03:14 PM
RE: "Our One Common Country" author talk in Stratford, CT
Here is another piece of information.

On October 29, 1867, Mary wrote this letter to Elizabeth Keckly.

Chicago, October 29 (1867)

My dear Lizzie:

I received a very pleasant note from Mr. F. Douglass on yesterday. I will reply to it this morning, and enclose it to you to hand or send him immediately. In this morning’s Tribune there was a little article evidently designed to make capital against me just now - that three of my brothers were in the Southern army during the war. If they had been friendly with me they might have said they were half-brothers of Mrs. L., whom she had not known since they were infants; and as she left Kentucky at an early age her sympathies were entirely Republican - that her feelings were entirely with the North during the war, and always. I never failed to urge my husband to be an extreme Republican, and now, in the day of my trouble, you see how this very party is trying to work against me. Tell Mr. Douglass, and every one, how deeply my feelings were enlisted in the cause of freedom. Why harp upon these half-brothers, whom I never knew since they were infants, and scarcely then, for my early home was truly at a boarding school. Write to him all this, and talk it to everyone else. If we succeed I will soon send you enough for a very large supply of trimming material for the winter.

Truly,
M. L.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Our One Common Country" author talk in Stratford, CT - RJNorton - 08-26-2014 03:14 PM