Political caucus right after assassination
12-18-2013, 03:40 PM (This post was last modified: 12-18-2013 03:49 PM by Angela.)
RE: Political caucus right after assassination
(12-18-2013 03:17 PM)Rogerm Wrote:  Johnson was not nearly as good a politician as Lincoln. Nor, was he as diplomatic. He was also from a southern state (Tennessee) and a former slave-owner; things that did not endear him much to the Radical Republicans. His decision to fire Secretary of War Stanton didn't help him much either.

Yes, Roger - I noticed how he burned ground quickly that was so arduously paved by Lincoln. But then, Johnson wasn't chosen for his political abilities, was he.
From what I gathered, I think he served his purpose as vice president (being from a southern state) - but he never even came close to understanding the delicate political dance it would have taken to master reconstruction.
On the other hand - and this is why I am currently curious about the republican radicals - it would have been nice for him to have at least a tiny bit of support instead of just being..."used"?

(12-18-2013 03:33 PM)Gene C Wrote:  
(12-18-2013 03:07 PM)Angela Wrote:  I am hoping to one day get to the point of how and why exactly the radicals turned on him (I'm sure that is quite a story) but as of now, my knowledge is wikipedia level.
There is just too much to learn about Lincoln for me...

Stanton's biography by Benjamin Thomas & Harold Hyman will answer a lot of your questions. It is very good. Probably the best book I have read this year.

Gene, thank you so much for this! I am taking notes as I am reading all the posts here - what a gift!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Political caucus right after assassination - Angela - 12-18-2013 03:40 PM