Georgia - 1 of 6 States to Determine Outcome of Presidential Election
08-23-2024, 12:05 PM
RE: Georgia - 1 of 6 States to Determine Outcome of Presidential Election
(08-23-2024 11:44 AM)Rob Wick Wrote:  Simple. Democracy.

Look, David, I understand your point. You aren't the only one who seriously dislikes the Electoral College, but that is what the Founders saddled us with back when things were much different. The only way it's ever going to change is for those who dislike it to have enough power to change it.

I guess that Lincoln accepted the Electoral College much the same way he accepted the rest of the decisions of the Founders. Your attempt to tie your question to Lincoln, however, is disingenuous.

Best
Rob

What proposals have been made to change the Electoral College process?

Reference sources indicate that over the past 200 years more than 700 proposals have been introduced in Congress to reform or eliminate the Electoral College. There have been more proposals for Constitutional amendments on changing the Electoral College than on any other subject. The American Bar Association has criticized the Electoral College as “archaic” and “ambiguous” and its polling showed 69 percent of lawyers favored abolishing it in 1987. But surveys of political scientists have supported continuation of the Electoral College. Public opinion polls have shown Americans favored abolishing it by majorities of 58 percent in 1967; 81 percent in 1968; and 75 percent in 1981.

Rob's post: The only way it's ever going to change is for those who dislike it to have enough power to change it.

According to the website cited above: "The ratification of the 12th Amendment, the expansion of voting rights, and the States’ use of the popular vote to determine who will be appointed as electors have each substantially changed the process."

As to your statement: "Your attempt to tie your question to Lincoln, however, is disingenuous." I disagree - I note that Lincoln was in favor of women having the constitutional right to vote. He was a man before his time.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Georgia - 1 of 6 States to Determine Outcome of Presidential Election - David Lockmiller - 08-23-2024 12:05 PM