The Open Door Policy in Lincoln's White House.
12-02-2019, 10:49 AM
RE: The Open Door Policy in Lincoln's White House.
(12-01-2019 07:45 PM)Mylye2222 Wrote:  Well, the coacher's bench was unsteady, and Mary always believed it was sabotage. This was the presidential carriage... Difficult to think of an accident whith all the deaths threats they received.

I agree that this is perhaps the most likely explanation, but I think there are other possibilities. The stable staff consisted of men who were known to drink a lot. I do not think the relationship between the Lincolns and these men was very congenial. After Mary fired one of the men in 1864 there was a tragic stable fire. The coachman who was dismissed was the chief suspect. However, despite being arrested, the evidence against him was insufficient, and he was released.

I think the other possibilities as to the cause of Mary's carriage accident would include:

1. Washington's streets were not smooth, and over time, the bolts on the driver's seat gradually loosened. If this were the case, no malice was involved - it was simply an accident.

2. Possibly the coachmen themselves had an argument, and one secretly tried to give another a "surprise jolt."

3. Possibly a stablehand's anger was actually directed at Mary, and this was a purposeful attempt to hurt her and not an assassination attempt on Abraham.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Open Door Policy in Lincoln's White House. - RJNorton - 12-02-2019 10:49 AM