Christmas at Surratt House
12-08-2016, 01:12 PM
RE: Christmas at Surratt House
(12-07-2016 08:24 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Expanding on the spiderweb history: Each year, my staff and I produce a souvenir booklet for visitors to take with them after enjoying our holiday tours. This is the first year that we have used the spiderweb theme, so its Victorian history is related in the booklet.

Expanding on the Christmas spider theme, the Victorians used it to create a game out of finding one's presents. It was often used in the dining room, if it had a central chandelier. The ribbons (or string) in varying colors extended around the room, hiding presents along or at the end of each strand. When family and friends arrived, each took up an assigned ribbon and followed it all the way to the end, collecting the gifts found along the way. So far as we could find, the St. Nicholas Magazine, founded by Scribner's in 1873, was the first to tell its readers about this novel method. The December 1876 issue of this popular American children's magazine carried a letter to the editor describing how one might fashion a "spider web" of string or ribbon. The writer offered it as an alternative to Christmas stockings and presents piled under the tree.

The presents were small and valuable things such as rings, pins, and other pieces of jewelry; thimbles, money, small toys, pocket knives, etc. If there was a couch in the room, the ribbons would slide under the cushions; or they might find them behind books. Some were short ribbons with the gift dangling within easier reach.

When all was ready, the mistress of the house would precede her guests into the room - opening the door that had been closed while they arrived. She would also say or sing the old rhyme of "Will you come into my parlor? Said the spider to the fly. 'Tis the prettiest little parlor that ever you did spy. The way into my parlor is up a winding stair. And I have many pretty things to show you when you're there. Will you, will you, walk in, Mister Fly?"

Our Christmas booklet includes the history of Christmas and the season with examples of gifts, cards, the story of mistletoe, Christmas at the Big House in the South as well as Christmas in the quarters, the Thomas Nast influence on Santa, and other themes. Some delicious recipes specifically for the season as used in the 1800s are offered also. Want to tackle stuffing a Maryland ham or baking and icing a snowball cake?

We usually have some booklets left over, and this year, my staff produced a second booklet of Christmas activities for smaller children - pages to color, word games, puzzles, etc. If interested in either, send $2 for each to cover postage: Checks payable to Surratt House Museum and mailed to the museum at 9118 Brandywine Road, Clinton, MD 20735.

Forgot to add that you can phone in any order for the booklet(s) or other items - such as the White House ornament - using a Visa or MasterCard. 301-868-1121.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Christmas at Surratt House - RJNorton - 12-07-2016, 06:33 AM
RE: Christmas at Surratt House - Gene C - 12-07-2016, 09:44 AM
RE: Christmas at Surratt House - L Verge - 12-07-2016, 01:08 PM
RE: Christmas at Surratt House - Gene C - 12-07-2016, 02:30 PM
RE: Christmas at Surratt House - L Verge - 12-07-2016, 06:33 PM
RE: Christmas at Surratt House - L Verge - 12-07-2016, 08:24 PM
RE: Christmas at Surratt House - L Verge - 12-08-2016 01:12 PM
RE: Christmas at Surratt House - L Verge - 12-11-2016, 07:25 PM
RE: Christmas at Surratt House - RJNorton - 12-12-2016, 05:44 AM