Lincoln Memorial, nearing 100, to get multimillion-dollar overhaul
02-20-2016, 03:47 PM
RE: Lincoln Memorial, nearing 100, to get multimillion-dollar overhaul
(02-20-2016 10:07 AM)Jim Garrett Wrote:  David Rubenstein was also the benefactor behind the renovation of the Petersen House and the addition of the "CEL", Center for Education and Leadership, next to the Petersen House. He also provided the funds for restoration of the Decatur House and bought the copy of the Magna Carta from H. Ross Perot that is on permanent display at the National Archives. I think that anything Mr. Rubenstein is involved in, is done first class.

The restrooms at the Lincoln Memorial do need an update and the exhibit area is very lacking for such an important memorial. The site around the Lincoln Memorial also includes the Viet Nam Veteran's Memorial, the Korean War Memorial, the Reflecting Pool, and at the far end of the Reflecting Pool, along 17th Street, the World War II Memorial. In my humble opinion, one of the greatest sites in Washington is to view the WWII Memorial from 17th Street at night in the warmer weather. You have the magnificent fountains going and the Lincoln Memorial is centered in the distance.

I totally agree with all you just said!
I did not know about the Learning Center being a Rubenstein contribution - and many things that you are addressing are indeed "first class".
However, while I do LOVE the learning center - and that magnificent book tower! - it does give a new look to the area, no?
I am just worried that this experience you described about walking the area at a quiet time would be a different one if buildings were added next to the Lincoln Memorial which stands there so much on his own and is yet a part of the whole experience along The Mall.

In case of emergency, Lincoln and children first.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln Memorial, nearing 100, to get multimillion-dollar overhaul - Angela - 02-20-2016 03:47 PM