Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Lincoln Memorial, nearing 100, to get multimillion-dollar overhaul - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: News and Announcements (/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Lincoln Memorial, nearing 100, to get multimillion-dollar overhaul (/thread-2868.html)

Pages: 1 2

Lincoln Memorial, nearing 100, to get multimillion-dollar overhaul - RJNorton - 02-16-2016 10:58 AM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/lincoln-memorial-nearing-100-to-get-multimillion-dollar-overhaul/2016/02/14/0617826e-d193-11e5-b2bc-988409ee911b_story.html

RE: Lincoln Memorial, nearing 100, to get multimillion-dollar overhaul - Thomas Kearney - 02-16-2016 12:10 PM

Can't wait to visit it when it's complete!

RE: Lincoln Memorial, nearing 100, to get multimillion-dollar overhaul - Angela - 02-16-2016 04:08 PM

This is wonderful news!
While I didn't notice any wear and tear, I am sure that there is lots of work to be done.

I, personally, just hope that all those great plans to add to this memorial on the National Mall will not turn it into a full blown museum of its own.
I love that iconic temple that sits there all by itself and isolated at the end of the reflecting pool - it is one, great single place to go to. If they'd add buildings, imo, that would ruin the experience. But then, this could just be me getting all hung up over what it has been in the past.
I love going there in the very early morning hours when there are no other tourists but only the occasional jogger than runs up the steps and said "good morning mr. president" (noticed that twice now) or - in the summer - some students from the nearby university that shush their peers when one gets too loud.

RE: Lincoln Memorial, nearing 100, to get multimillion-dollar overhaul - L Verge - 02-16-2016 04:50 PM

I agree with you, Angela, the Lincoln Memorial is a masterpiece in its own right and does not need to be turned into yet another tourist trap. My husband and I used to go there at night and enjoy the peace and calm.

As for its under-pinnings, about 25-30 years ago, the NPS offered tours under the memorial by appointment. I never was able to go, but several friends did and reported that, at first, it was rather scary because of the total darkness. Once the flashlights came on and the graffiti became evident, they were amazed.

RE: Lincoln Memorial, nearing 100, to get multimillion-dollar overhaul - Eva Elisabeth - 02-16-2016 06:34 PM

(02-16-2016 04:50 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I agree with you, Angela, the Lincoln Memorial is a masterpiece in its own right and does not need to be turned into yet another tourist trap. My husband and I used to go there at night and enjoy the peace and calm.
Can't agree more. And I hope the touching place will one day end up like the Giza pyramids:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eEploXxxVXc
...each night. The pharaohs get little rest.

RE: Lincoln Memorial, nearing 100, to get multimillion-dollar overhaul - Eva Elisabeth - 02-17-2016 11:10 AM

(02-16-2016 06:34 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  
(02-16-2016 04:50 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I agree with you, Angela, the Lincoln Memorial is a masterpiece in its own right and does not need to be turned into yet another tourist trap. My husband and I used to go there at night and enjoy the peace and calm.
Can't agree more. And I hope the touching place will one day end up like the Giza pyramids:
Ouch, I just noticed my autocorrection (which unauthorizedly adds or deletes or changes words at times) poked fun with me the worst way - I sure hope the Memorial WON'T end up like the pyramids!!!

RE: Lincoln Memorial, nearing 100, to get multimillion-dollar overhaul - Thomas Kearney - 02-17-2016 02:40 PM

(02-16-2016 06:34 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  

Even American Pharoah?

RE: Lincoln Memorial, nearing 100, to get multimillion-dollar overhaul - RJNorton - 02-17-2016 03:29 PM

(02-17-2016 02:40 PM)Thomas Kearney Wrote:  Even American Pharoah?

Nope. He just had an exciting first date with Untouched Talent.

RE: Lincoln Memorial, nearing 100, to get multimillion-dollar overhaul - ReignetteC - 02-18-2016 12:45 AM

I agree with you, Angela, the Lincoln Memorial is a masterpiece in its own right and does not need to be turned into yet another tourist trap. My husband and I used to go there at night and enjoy the peace and calm.

I'm on the same page, too. I'll always take classic over clutter.

Obviously, the Memorial's architect, Henry Bacon, was no fan of "clutter" as per Christopher Thomas in his book, “The Lincoln Memorial and American Life":

“In keeping with the ideal of classic simplicity, Henry Bacon, the architect, fought hard to keep clutter in all forms out of the memorial. He did not even want a flagpole on the building, asking that a rule requiring every federal building to bear one be suspended for the memorial, since it was not a building, properly speaking."

What would Bacon think about the proposed modifications?

RE: Lincoln Memorial, nearing 100, to get multimillion-dollar overhaul - L Verge - 02-18-2016 04:38 PM

(02-18-2016 12:45 AM)ReignetteC Wrote:  I agree with you, Angela, the Lincoln Memorial is a masterpiece in its own right and does not need to be turned into yet another tourist trap. My husband and I used to go there at night and enjoy the peace and calm.

I'm on the same page, too. I'll always take classic over clutter.

Obviously, the Memorial's architect, Henry Bacon, was no fan of "clutter" as per Christopher Thomas in his book, “The Lincoln Memorial and American Life":

“In keeping with the ideal of classic simplicity, Henry Bacon, the architect, fought hard to keep clutter in all forms out of the memorial. He did not even want a flagpole on the building, asking that a rule requiring every federal building to bear one be suspended for the memorial, since it was not a building, properly speaking."

What would Bacon think about the proposed modifications?

I wonder if anyone has brought this to the attention of those involved in this make-over? I'm still recovering from the "transformation" of Ford's Theatre!

RE: Lincoln Memorial, nearing 100, to get multimillion-dollar overhaul - Jim Garrett - 02-20-2016 10:07 AM

David Rubenstein was also the benefactor behind the renovation of the Petersen House and the addition of the "CEL", Center for Education and Leadership, next to the Petersen House. He also provided the funds for restoration of the Decatur House and bought the copy of the Magna Carta from H. Ross Perot that is on permanent display at the National Archives. I think that anything Mr. Rubenstein is involved in, is done first class.

The restrooms at the Lincoln Memorial do need an update and the exhibit area is very lacking for such an important memorial. The site around the Lincoln Memorial also includes the Viet Nam Veteran's Memorial, the Korean War Memorial, the Reflecting Pool, and at the far end of the Reflecting Pool, along 17th Street, the World War II Memorial. In my humble opinion, one of the greatest sites in Washington is to view the WWII Memorial from 17th Street at night in the warmer weather. You have the magnificent fountains going and the Lincoln Memorial is centered in the distance.

RE: Lincoln Memorial, nearing 100, to get multimillion-dollar overhaul - Angela - 02-20-2016 03:47 PM

(02-20-2016 10:07 AM)Jim Garrett Wrote:  David Rubenstein was also the benefactor behind the renovation of the Petersen House and the addition of the "CEL", Center for Education and Leadership, next to the Petersen House. He also provided the funds for restoration of the Decatur House and bought the copy of the Magna Carta from H. Ross Perot that is on permanent display at the National Archives. I think that anything Mr. Rubenstein is involved in, is done first class.

The restrooms at the Lincoln Memorial do need an update and the exhibit area is very lacking for such an important memorial. The site around the Lincoln Memorial also includes the Viet Nam Veteran's Memorial, the Korean War Memorial, the Reflecting Pool, and at the far end of the Reflecting Pool, along 17th Street, the World War II Memorial. In my humble opinion, one of the greatest sites in Washington is to view the WWII Memorial from 17th Street at night in the warmer weather. You have the magnificent fountains going and the Lincoln Memorial is centered in the distance.

I totally agree with all you just said!
I did not know about the Learning Center being a Rubenstein contribution - and many things that you are addressing are indeed "first class".
However, while I do LOVE the learning center - and that magnificent book tower! - it does give a new look to the area, no?
I am just worried that this experience you described about walking the area at a quiet time would be a different one if buildings were added next to the Lincoln Memorial which stands there so much on his own and is yet a part of the whole experience along The Mall.

RE: Lincoln Memorial, nearing 100, to get multimillion-dollar overhaul - Jim Garrett - 02-20-2016 08:32 PM

My guess is that a new building would not encroach on the memorial. The proposed visitor's center for the Viet Nam Veteran's Memorial is planned to be about 60 yards away from the memorial, across Henry Bacon Dr.

RE: Lincoln Memorial, nearing 100, to get multimillion-dollar overhaul - Anita - 02-21-2016 06:32 PM

(02-18-2016 12:45 AM)ReignetteC Wrote:  What would Bacon think about the proposed modifications?

I share your opinion and those of Angela. Thanks for the post Roger and to the discussion here. I was traveling and missed the story.

"Architect Henry Bacon wanted to create a sacred and ceremonial space, using architecture, sculpture and legacy of Lincoln’s own words."
http://chesterwood.org/lincoln-memorial/

IMO Bacon would not be happy with the proposed modifications. His intention was not to create a museum. It's possible that the new modifications will be able to retain the integrity of Bacon's design concept of a sacred and ceremonial space if it's far enough away, as pointed out by Jim.

RE: Lincoln Memorial, nearing 100, to get multimillion-dollar overhaul - Eva Elisabeth - 02-21-2016 06:45 PM

I agree - the Memorial speaks well for itself IMO. A 15,000 square feet exhibit is a place and attraction of its own and should be.