Skull of Civil War Soldier to be Auctioned
06-07-2014, 07:50 PM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2014 08:54 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Skull of Civil War Soldier to be Auctioned
(06-07-2014 07:14 PM)L Verge Wrote:  One of the saddest parts was seeing rows upon rows of packages containing the cremated remains of people whose relatives or friends never came to claim the body. They dated back for decades.
That is a sad ending (and a scaring thought when you have no descendants or other younger relatives).

As for death and disrespectfulness - there are two things about which I'm on the fence as for what to think about them, and I'd like to learn how you think. "Disrespectful" is actually not exactly what I think, maybe rather was it right to do this?

1. The embalming of A. Lincoln's body, especially as if I remember correctly something went wrong and too much of the chemical substance was used or so (does anyone know? Can't find it right now - I might be wrong either.) I think whether to preserve a body for eternity is a matter and issue of believe and faith and ok if it was the deceased's wish, but not everyone wants that, and several people believe it objectable to God's will - according to Gen 3: 19: "In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return" and Ecclesiastes 12 :7 "Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it."

Would A. Lincoln have liked his body embalmed? (I wouldn't! Too artificial, not for Genesis, but somehow I don't feel such shall be.) In case we can't be sure he would have liked - was it right to do so? BTW, who made the decision (or who agreed on it? Mary? Robert?)?

I'll ask for #2 later and hope for your comments on this first.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Skull of Civil War Soldier to be Auctioned - Eva Elisabeth - 06-07-2014 07:50 PM