What are you reading now?
05-17-2015, 10:03 AM
RE: What are you reading now?
IMO "American Brutus" is far superior to "Fortune's Fool." It is much better written and merits the rare title of historical literature. I was disturbed by "Fortune Fool's" reluctance in its single minded focus on JWB to judge his associates.

Tom
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-17-2015, 10:26 AM
I agree with Tom on this, too. Something is wrong here. If I agree with him one more time, I will have to stop commenting and let him do it all.
05-17-2015, 12:31 PM (This post was last modified: 05-17-2015 12:35 PM by BettyO.)
I also have to agree with you gentlemen - AB is the absolute best, IMO....

Currently I am reading Fazio's Decapitating the Union - it's very interesting and well written....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
05-17-2015, 05:05 PM
I'm reading "Backstage At The Lincoln Assassination", Terrific book!

Thomas Kearney, Professional Photobomber.
05-21-2015, 08:42 AM (This post was last modified: 05-21-2015 08:44 AM by Gene C.)
Just finished reading a non-Lincoln book titled "Man's Search For Meaning" by Victor Frankl

Victor Frankl was a Jewish psychologist and he writes about his experiences inside the Nazi concentration camps of WW 2
It is a very powerful and moving book. My review can't do it justice, so if you are interested read some of the online reviews.
http://www.amazon.com/Mans-Search-Meanin...or+meaning

It does have some psychology theory in it near the end, but the majority of the book is his personal witness to the events around him.
Dr. Frankl gives reasons and examples why some people survived the holocaust, while other did not. It's an affordable book, your library may even have a copy.
I highly recommend it.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
05-23-2015, 09:54 PM
Getting ready to start "Fortunes Fool" after I finish a biography of Sir Francis Drake by John Sugden.
05-24-2015, 02:25 PM
I've so many interesting books on my stack that I am reading some parallel. One is "Manhut". It's very enjoyable to read - reads rather like fiction. I'd like to know what those of you who have read it think of it compared to other books on the topic.
05-24-2015, 03:19 PM
Manhunt is a tremendous book and an easy read! I could not put the book down! I also enjoyed "They have killed Papa dead".
05-24-2015, 03:34 PM
I enjoyed "They have killed Papa dead", too, Herb, and I somewhat feel it's not appropriately appreciated.
05-24-2015, 04:02 PM
Herb and Eva, I agree with both of you. They Have Killed Papa Dead! is a very good book. The author, Tony Pitch, is a member here but posts very infrequently.
05-24-2015, 05:09 PM
Anthony Pitch helped me with some research a few years ago.He is a great unknown author! In my opinion he is under recognized by the mainstream press.
05-24-2015, 07:16 PM
I, too enjoyed Pitch's book. Very good and full of grand, somewhat "untapped" information.... Currently I'm reading Fazio's Decapitating the Union. It's very, very good....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
05-24-2015, 08:39 PM
Pitch's book is definitely one that someone getting interested in the details of the assassination should read. I was a tad disappointed because he had promised "new finds," but I didn't see any. Another book in the same vein that I enjoyed a great deal is Tom Goodrich's The Darkest Dawn.

I am also enjoying John's Decapitating the Union, but it's making me struggle! So much information to digest and so much "surmising." I'm just delighted that he decided to tackle "the Confederates did it" angle. I want Tidwell, Hall, and Gaddy to be vindicated in the end.
05-25-2015, 07:17 AM
Fazio's book is a tremendous,eye opening,read!
05-25-2015, 08:21 AM
I don't feel that it is for a "beginner," however. There is so much to digest, so much to re-read to make sure that you are understanding it correctly. John is a lawyer, and his "legal speak" shows through in every paragraph. For me, that takes getting used to. Please don't take what I just said as a bad review, however. It is well worth the time in order to get a different perspective on things and to see his challenges to time-honored traditions about who did what. I am definitely in favor of the theme that he has - look southward to a Cabinet member, not northward to Stanton.

P.S. I did mark John wrong on one thing about David Herold. Unfortunately, he picked up on what I think Helen Jones Campbell did wrong about 70 years ago. He has David and John Surratt as classmates at Charlotte Hall Military Academy. Neither man attended that school at any time. David's two alma maters were Georgetown College and the prestigious Rittenhouse Academy - both of which would not have put up with Mr. Herold if he were the "dimwit" that he is portrayed as.