Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia (/thread-615.html)

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - L Verge - 02-13-2017 03:17 PM

This is the most unlikely President that I can think of to have been punished in school, but let's go with Woodrow Wilson.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 02-13-2017 03:53 PM

Nope, it's not Wilson.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - L Verge - 02-13-2017 04:21 PM

We're running out of Presidents here! Let's go with the double-H. Harding or Hoover?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 02-13-2017 04:52 PM

I am sorry, Laurie, but it's not Harding or Hoover.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 02-13-2017 05:41 PM

I cannot think of any more clues, so I will give the answer - it's President Dwight D. Eisenhower. Ike has a rebellious streak in him that showed in his days at West Point. Some of his violations of the rules can be found here.

Thanks to all who tried - this was a tough one.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 02-13-2017 07:05 PM

Which president said the following, and what was he referring to?
“Leave it as it is. You cannot improve it."

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Gene C - 02-13-2017 08:29 PM

JFK - Cuba
LBJ - Vietnam
Richard Nixon - his motel reservation at the Watergate Hotel
Jimmy Carter - Brother Billy
Ronald Reagan - proposed remake of "Bedtime For Bonzo"

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - L Verge - 02-13-2017 08:35 PM

(02-13-2017 05:41 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  I cannot think of any more clues, so I will give the answer - it's President Dwight D. Eisenhower. Ike has a rebellious streak in him that showed in his days at West Point. Some of his violations of the rules can be found here.

Thanks to all who tried - this was a tough one.

OMG! We all should have thought of West Point and its standards immediately. DUH.

(02-13-2017 07:05 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Which president said the following, and what was he referring to?
“Leave it as it is. You cannot improve it."

That one I know! Theodore Roosevelt in describing the Grand Canyon. (Which BTW is where Wild Bill met his wife - just call me a gossip!)

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 02-13-2017 09:01 PM

Kudos, Laurie, that is correct. The entire quote and much more on presidents and National Parks here:
https://www.whitehousehistory.org/the-presidents-and-the-national-parks

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - L Verge - 02-14-2017 08:07 PM

What future President witnessed Jefferson Davis being marched through Augusta, Georgia, in chains?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 02-14-2017 09:30 PM

Wilson?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - L Verge - 02-15-2017 08:34 PM

(02-14-2017 09:30 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Wilson?

Sorry for the delay in responding. I'm back on the clock now and endured a three-hour meeting this morning off-site (45-minute drive one-way).

That didn't take you long, Eva. You are correct that Woodrow Wilson witnessed this as a child while his family was living in Georgia.

I also found mention that he did not learn to read until he was about ten. The modern suspicion is that he was dyslexic. Of course, we think of him as The Professor and a master of words.

Let's try this piece of trivia: Only two Presidents have run unopposed for a second term. Who were they?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 02-16-2017 05:05 AM

I thought of Wilson because he was, as from Virginia, the only southerner of the time-wise likely possible ones.

Wild guess - Washington and Teddy Roosevelt?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 02-16-2017 05:59 AM

I remember this as it was in the textbook I used when teaching. One was Washington. The other was in 1820 when James Monroe ran for a second term. He was unopposed, but he did not win unanimously in the Electoral College. One elector voted for another person as he wanted Washington to remain as the only unanimous President. It's been many years since I taught, but that is my (vague) memory.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - L Verge - 02-16-2017 07:53 PM

Your memory, Roger, is not vague at all. It was indeed Washington and Monroe.