Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia (/thread-615.html)

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - PaigeBooth - 07-30-2015 11:37 AM

Lyndon Johnson? He died at home at his ranch, so maybe he could have had it hanging on his wall?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - L Verge - 07-30-2015 12:15 PM

Eva and Jim have to be right with clues like Iowa (where Blaine lives) and the "chicken in the pot" hints. It has to be Iowan Herbert Hoover.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 07-30-2015 12:40 PM

Nice tries by Gene and Paige, but Eva, Jim, and Laurie got it right. It was Herbert Hoover.

Thanks to Blaine for sending the question.

During the 1928 Presidential campaign a circular published by the Republican Party claimed that if Herbert Hoover won there would be "a chicken in every pot and a car in every garage."

Eva, Jim, and Laurie: Blaine and I are too cheap to give you cars as a prize, but you all win one free chicken.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 07-30-2015 01:12 PM

Thanks - love chickens! (Hope it comes alive and not in a pot!)

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 07-30-2015 01:18 PM

Just sent it to you, Eva. Costs an arm and a leg to send a chicken to Germany! Let me know what shape it's in when it arrives.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 07-30-2015 01:37 PM

Here's a photo:
[attachment=1765]

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - L Verge - 07-30-2015 03:57 PM

I guess the trip over drove the chicken crazy...

Next question: We know that two Presidents died on the 4th of July, but only one was born on the 4th of July. Name all three.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 07-30-2015 04:31 PM

The two who died on the same day were John Adams and Jefferson.
As for who was born on July 4 (somehow I believe that once caught my eye) - Garfield?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - L Verge - 07-30-2015 04:42 PM

Correct on the first two, but Garfield is not #3.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 07-30-2015 05:11 PM

Ok, I'll try the scientific approach (just kidding) and brood about someone matching these features:

Cancer Strengths:
- Loyalty
- Dependable
- Caring
- Adaptable
- Responsive

Cancer Weaknesses:
- Moody
- Clingy
- Self-pitying
- Oversensitive
- Self-absorbed

Cancer and Business:
Once cancer resolved their emotional issues such as shyness and insecurity, the powerful character will shine though, there is practically nothing they can't do. They have incredible perseverance and will stand up for what they believe in. With their strong intuition, sensitivity, powers of observation and intelligence, they will have great success in anything they undertake. They are excellent business people and investors because of their intuitive and psychic ability and their creative forward thinking mind, they are able to predict future trends. They attract wealth very well and know where to invest. Money and financial well being is very important to Cancer and this can help their drive in business. They need financial security and if they allow themselves to properly focus their energy and do not allow their emotions to over take them, they are more then capable of obtaining their financial goals and being incredibly successful business people.

I'll brood on a little, but maybe someone else has an idea meanwhile...

Hmmm, "successful business people" etc. - GW Bush?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - L Verge - 07-30-2015 07:03 PM

(07-30-2015 05:11 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Ok, I'll try the scientific approach (just kidding) and brood about someone matching these features:

Cancer Strengths:
- Loyalty
- Dependable
- Caring
- Adaptable
- Responsive

Cancer Weaknesses:
- Moody
- Clingy
- Self-pitying
- Oversensitive
- Self-absorbed

Cancer and Business:
Once cancer resolved their emotional issues such as shyness and insecurity, the powerful character will shine though, there is practically nothing they can't do. They have incredible perseverance and will stand up for what they believe in. With their strong intuition, sensitivity, powers of observation and intelligence, they will have great success in anything they undertake. They are excellent business people and investors because of their intuitive and psychic ability and their creative forward thinking mind, they are able to predict future trends. They attract wealth very well and know where to invest. Money and financial well being is very important to Cancer and this can help their drive in business. They need financial security and if they allow themselves to properly focus their energy and do not allow their emotions to over take them, they are more then capable of obtaining their financial goals and being incredibly successful business people.

I'll brood on a little, but maybe someone else has an idea meanwhile...

Hmmm, "successful business people" etc. - GW Bush?

Nope, not either Bush. This President has been featured on this thread before.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Jim Page - 07-30-2015 07:13 PM

(07-30-2015 12:40 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  . . . but you all win one free chicken.

Thanks, Roger! At least it wasn't a guinea fowl, as I don't like guinea fowl.

My granny kept those things on the farm, maybe to act as burglar alarms (they excelled at that) or to keep snakes out of the yard (weren't worth a flip at that).

--Jim

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - L Verge - 07-30-2015 07:56 PM

(07-30-2015 07:13 PM)Jim Page Wrote:  
(07-30-2015 12:40 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  . . . but you all win one free chicken.

Thanks, Roger! At least it wasn't a guinea fowl, as I don't like guinea fowl.

My granny kept those things on the farm, maybe to act as burglar alarms (they excelled at that) or to keep snakes out of the yard (weren't worth a flip at that).

--Jim

I'm with you on those darn guineas, Jim. What a noise they could make. I also don't like roosters to this day because of one we had that pecked at my ankles every time I was sent to get the eggs. One day, I screamed so loud that my dog came running and that was the end of the rooster. Best dog I ever had!

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Jim Page - 07-30-2015 08:14 PM

Hah! I applaud the fine work of your dog, Laurie!!! While I'm ranting about birds, I'll opine that geese are about the nastiest things on this planet, and some of 'em are ill-tempered, too. I've been chased by the darned birds and they'll peck at your bare legs and it hurts like the dickens.

When I was about 12, I had to share a room at the farm one summer with my great-uncle Percy. One night, about 3 in the morning, three or four guineas sitting in a crepe myrtle tree just outside our window cut loose for some reason. Uncle Percy, then about 75 years old, said to me, "Boy, go get that 12 gauge in the pantry, load it, and meet me in the side yard." Of course, I did exactly what he told me to do, not realizing what he planned to do to his sister's beloved guineas.

When the smoke cleared, there was perhaps the biggest brouhaha ever seen on that old farm. Boy howdy, was Granny upset at Uncle Percy and I caught it, too. Uncle Percy just sat at the kitchen table sipping coffee and declaring any guinea fowl in the property was fair game and would be dealt with in a similar fashion. I'll never forget it.

Granny at the scene of the impending massacre.
[Image: 42c223c5-01bd-43d5-b96c-b101f921d256_zpseuhg6equ.jpg]

--Jim

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - L Verge - 07-30-2015 08:23 PM

(07-30-2015 08:14 PM)Jim Page Wrote:  Hah! I applaud the fine work of your dog, Laurie!!! While I'm ranting about birds, I'll opine that geese are about the nastiest things on this planet, and some of 'em are ill-tempered, too. I've been chased by the darned birds and they'll peck at your bare legs and it hurts like the dickens.

When I was about 12, I had to share a room at the farm one summer with my great-uncle Percy. One night, about 3 in the morning, three or four guineas sitting in a crepe myrtle tree just outside our window cut loose for some reason. Uncle Percy, then about 75 years old, said to me, "Boy, go get that 12 gauge in the pantry, load it, and meet me in the side yard." Of course, I did exactly what he told me to do, not realizing what he planned to do to his sister's beloved guineas.

When the smoke cleared, there was perhaps the biggest brouhaha ever seen on that old farm. Boy howdy, was Granny upset at Uncle Percy and I caught it, too. Uncle Percy just sat at the kitchen table sipping coffee and declaring any guinea fowl in the property was fair game and would be dealt with in a similar fashion. I'll never forget it.

--Jim

Sounds like a segment of Beverly Hillbillies, Jim! I'm with you on the geese also. My parents had a friend who had a pair of geese that were better guard dogs than a Doberman.