Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia (/thread-615.html)

RE: New Topic - Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - J. Beckert - 01-16-2013 05:33 PM

After Hint # 2, my first thought was Obama, but I'll go with Pierce or Buchanan.

RE: New Topic - Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 01-16-2013 05:56 PM

You got it, Joe. That is President Buchanan's dog named Lara. He was a Newfoundland (a Newfie) who weighed 170 pounds. The sketch of Lara appeared in Frank Leslie's in 1857.

RE: New Topic - Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Rob Wick - 01-16-2013 06:44 PM

(01-16-2013 05:33 PM)J. Beckert Wrote:  After Hint # 2, my first thought was Obama, but I'll go with Pierce or Buchanan.

Fox's rankings don't count, Joe. Smile

Best
Rob

RE: New Topic - Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Hess1865 - 01-16-2013 09:29 PM

Who was the only President to get a speeding ticket while in office??

RE: New Topic - Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Donna McCreary - 01-16-2013 09:39 PM

Presdient Grant was fined $20 for speeding while riding a horse.

RE: New Topic - Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Hess1865 - 01-16-2013 10:35 PM

Correct Donna!!
Actually Grant was speeding in his horse and buggy.
And the officer who gave Grant the ticket didn't recognize him.
Grant, being the gentleman he always was, rode to the station and paid the fine in person.
Needless to say, the officer who gave him the ticket was shocked when he found out it was the President!!!

RE: New Topic - Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 01-20-2013 05:01 PM

Which First Lady wrote this to her social secretary:

I'm taking the veil. I've had it with being First Lady all the time, and now I'm going to give more attention to my children. I want you to cut off all outside activity - whether it's a glass of sherry with a poet or coffee with a king. No more art gallery dedications - no nothing - unless absolutely necessary.

RE: New Topic - Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Rob Wick - 01-20-2013 05:11 PM

Wild guess, but I'd say Jacqueline Kennedy.

Best
Rob

RE: New Topic - Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 01-20-2013 05:16 PM

Right on, Rob. Indeed she wrote this to her social secretary on January 11, 1963.

RE: New Topic - Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Rob Wick - 01-21-2013 11:29 AM

In honor of the inauguration today, who holds the record for most oaths of office administered to the president?

Best
Rob

RE: New Topic - Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 01-21-2013 11:42 AM

My initial guesses on your questions, Rob, are almost always wrong - but I'll try again. The first name that comes to mind is John Marshall.

RE: New Topic - Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Rob Wick - 01-21-2013 11:54 AM

Well, that didn't last long. This time you are right, Roger. While Roger B. Taney holds the record for most presidents sworn in (seven) Marshall holds the record for most times he administered the oath (nine).

You win a seat on the platform today. You'll have to leave now to get there on time. See a guy named Biden for your ticket. Smile

Best
Rob

RE: New Topic - Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - J. Beckert - 01-22-2013 08:05 AM

What President's father was so irritated by the new fangled technology of the telephone, that he insisted it be kept outside on the porch after the President's stays?

RE: New Topic - Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 01-22-2013 08:37 AM

William H. Taft?

RE: New Topic - Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - J. Beckert - 01-22-2013 08:45 AM

No. More recent.