Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia (/thread-615.html)

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Gene C - 11-04-2018 07:53 AM

(11-04-2018 06:43 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(11-04-2018 06:34 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Is it a painting on the floor/ground, or on a house wall? Looks like a church

The tile came from the floor of a building in Washington, but it was not a church.

This may be a stretch, but is the tile a floor sample from Stanton's House of Tile, where Ray Neff, Finis Bates, W C Jameson and Otto Eisenschml bought their basement floor tile?
I think the pattern is called Old Penitentiary.
Smile

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 11-04-2018 08:25 AM

Someone's birthplace or home "peering" through the newer floor?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 11-04-2018 10:08 AM

I am sorry, Gene and Eva, but neither guess is correct.

Hint #2: This tile is now in a different location than its original place. Both locations are in Washington, D.C.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - J. Beckert - 11-04-2018 12:31 PM

Did it once mark the spot where Pres. Garfield was shot?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 11-04-2018 01:24 PM

Brilliant, Joe! That is correct! The tile is now in the Smithsonian.

"James Garfield had been president for just four months when, in July 1881, he was fatally shot by Charles Guiteau, who was angry after being looked over repeatedly for a government post. Garfield was catching a train at Baltimore and Potomac Station in Washington, D.C. when he was shot twice, falling back on the floor and exclaiming “My God, what is this?”

According to legend, the tile on which he fell was afterwards pulled up from the floor by an unnamed individual who later presented it to Garfield’s son. (Was it actually the tile Garfield fell on, or was it just one of the tiles from the floor? No one knows for sure.) The relic was one of many collected by people who felt the need to preserve the scene of this historic tragedy. Garfield’s son donated the tile to the Smithsonian, where it remains today."

http://mentalfloss.com/article/561552/artifacts-famous-assassinations

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - wpbinzel - 11-04-2018 06:34 PM

(11-04-2018 07:53 AM)Gene C Wrote:  
(11-04-2018 06:43 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(11-04-2018 06:34 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Is it a painting on the floor/ground, or on a house wall? Looks like a church

The tile came from the floor of a building in Washington, but it was not a church.

This may be a stretch, but is the tile a floor sample from Stanton's House of Tile, where Ray Neff, Finis Bates, W C Jameson and Otto Eisenschml bought their basement floor tile?
I think the pattern is called Old Penitentiary.
Smile

AND THE STYLE POINTS GO TO . . GENE!!

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - AussieMick - 11-06-2018 10:11 PM

This image links to a President. Who would that be? I doubt that you've seen the image before ... but you'll be able to make some good guesses.
Click on it to enlarge. The text on the image is my own, to make it harder to Google Search the image (not that you would).

[attachment=2966]

I need to know the event involved too. Because the following are just other images associated with the President.

this one ? It was a farewell gift from him ... and the story goes that he also left a poem to a barmaid.[attachment=2968]

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 11-07-2018 05:49 AM

Could it be Teddy Roosevelt?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - AussieMick - 11-07-2018 05:59 AM

Good first try, Roger. Very good in fact, but no not Teddy.

(Ive added another image)

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 11-07-2018 08:03 AM

The new hint helps a lot, Michael.

I shall say it's Herbert Hoover. In 1897 Hoover was a young geologist who worked for a British mining company in Western Australia. Hoover arrived in the town of Kalgoorlie. Hoover worked in Australia for a few years, and while he was there he may have written a poem to a Kalgoorlie barmaid. Eventually Hoover returned to the USA and married Lou Henry.

I cannot answer the part about an event.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - L Verge - 11-07-2018 10:46 AM

(11-07-2018 08:03 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  The new hint helps a lot, Michael.

I shall say it's Herbert Hoover. In 1897 Hoover was a young geologist who worked for a British mining company in Western Australia. Hoover arrived in the town of Kalgoorlie. Hoover worked in Australia for a few years, and while he was there he may have written a poem to a Kalgoorlie barmaid. Eventually Hoover returned to the USA and married Lou Henry.

I cannot answer the part about an event.

Boy, Roger and I are on the same wave length. My first guess was Teddy R. also, but when it wasn't him, I switched to Hoover strictly because of the gear he was wearing. I don't know about the event either.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - AussieMick - 11-07-2018 03:35 PM

(11-07-2018 03:35 PM)AussieMick Wrote:  Congratulations and kudos (is that tautology? never mind ... I've never used 'kudos' until this forum).
And well done to both Roger and Laurie.
\
I was going to include an image of an Afghan Camel driver but couldnt get one without it being searchable. Camels were used by Australian miners (Hoover was on a salary of $5000 a year as an engineer). There are about 100,000 feral camels roaming in Western Australia.

I cannot locate evidence but I'm sure that Hoover was influential in creating BHP. He was certainly a major influence in mining in Australia. He was certainly involved in the 'Sons of Gwalia' gold mine.
http://blog.perthmint.com.au/2012/07/04/which-united-states-president-dug-for-australian-gold/

He was important in bringing in Italian migrants (to work in the mines).

https://monumentaustralia.org.au/themes/disaster/industrial/display/60312-varischetti-mine-rescue

https://palacehotelkalgoorlie.com/home/the-hoover-mirror/

https://www.theage.com.au/technology/herbert-hoover-to-the-rescue-20060506-ge29ec.html

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - L Verge - 11-07-2018 08:42 PM

We may have mentioned this previously on the forum, but Herbert and Lou Hoover were very fluent in Chinese after their sojourn in that country. When they lived in the White House, they tended to converse with each other in Chinese (can't remember which form) so that staff and others could not listen in.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 01-14-2019 04:58 PM

Which President's voice is this?

CLICK HERE

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Gene C - 01-14-2019 05:08 PM

FDR ? - Franklin Roosevelt