"Gettysburg Part of America's Soul"
04-15-2013, 11:46 AM
"Gettysburg Part of America's Soul"
Gettysburg Part of America's Soul

I have endured a great deal of ridicule without much malice; and have received a great deal of kindness, not quite free from ridicule. I am used to it. (Letter to James H. Hackett, November 2, 1863)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-15-2013, 11:53 AM
RE: "Gettysburg Part of America's Soul"
Excellent.
Find all posts by this user
04-15-2013, 12:01 PM
Nice article.

What is it that sets Gettysburg apart from other civil war battles and battlefields?

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
04-15-2013, 09:46 PM
Maybe because it was the biggest one fought on Northern soil ?
04-16-2013, 01:08 PM
(04-15-2013 12:01 PM)Gene C Wrote:  Nice article.

What is it that sets Gettysburg apart from other civil war battles and battlefields?

The address. Schools don't teach about the battle, they teach the address. At least they used to. I still remember having to memorize it. Then when I was older, I used to type the address to work on my keyboarding skills.
Those of us on whom the address made an impact went on to learn more about the battles, the politics, the personalities. Most weren't interested enough to even learn how much "four score and seven" added up to.
04-16-2013, 02:08 PM
I think you are probably very correct that the Gettysburg Address sparks the interest that leads to the rest of what went on that horrible July in 1863. The Siege of Vicksburg was ending at the exact same time, but few people ever mention that crucial turning point that split the Confederacy and gave control of the Mississippi River to the Union.

Besides the Gettysburg Address, however, the battle was the high-water mark of the Confederacy, the end of its hopes in moving northward, it involved citizens of a town who fled to basements, and to me it has been amazing to learn how the movements of one rather small contingent drew troops from every direction to culminate in such a horrible battle.
04-16-2013, 08:04 PM
Just imagining the thunderous roar of the Confederate shelling at the Union line on Day 3-prior to the fateful charge sends chills down my spine. I think the cannons roared for a solid 30 minutes. Nothing of that magnitude had been seen on American soil before or since. Gettysburg: grand in scope, grand in the cost, and grand in the eventual outcome...

Bill Nash
04-17-2013, 08:53 AM
(04-16-2013 01:08 PM)tblunk Wrote:  The address. Schools don't teach about the battle, they teach the address. At least they used to. I still remember having to memorize it.

Tom, I agree with you. When I was in grade school I had to memorize the Gettysburg Address. I left grade school in 1957. My first year of teaching was 1966, and memorizing things was definitely not part of what I was told to teach. We were told to emphasize critical thinking skills in the classroom and not require the students to memorize important passages, etc. So in the area of the country I lived the change came in the late 1950's and 1960's.
04-17-2013, 09:01 AM
I think the era of having students memorize the Gettysburg Address and similar important American documents have passed. In talking to young people, none reported having to do so.

Bill Nash
04-17-2013, 09:14 AM (This post was last modified: 04-17-2013 09:15 AM by ELCore.)
I graduated from high school in 1975, and we had to memorize the Address. But I forget in what grade we did that; probably in junior high, though, grades 7 through 9.

(04-17-2013 09:01 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  I think the era of having students memorize the Gettysburg Address and similar important American documents have passed. In talking to young people, none reported having to do so.

I can't help but suspect that our educational system has been turned so one of its purposes is to deprive students of their heritage rather than hand it on.

I have endured a great deal of ridicule without much malice; and have received a great deal of kindness, not quite free from ridicule. I am used to it. (Letter to James H. Hackett, November 2, 1863)
04-17-2013, 02:36 PM
Having been a teacher, having been a mother, and now being a grandmother, I concur; I've watched it happen. Our heritage and our political foundations mean very little in the wide scope of education today. It's sad.
04-17-2013, 02:48 PM
Absolutely. And the turnaround further enhances the slide...

Bill Nash
04-22-2013, 08:56 PM
My daughter went to York College about a 3 hour drive from our house. We would pass Gettysburg. On the highway just before the historic battlefield is an exit for Flugelville. My wife said "if Lee had pushed on another 15 miles we would never have heard about Gettysburg and would be talking about the battle of Flugelville. Just does not have the same ring, does it!
04-23-2013, 07:04 AM
The "Flugelville Address" isn't real catchy either.

Bill Nash
04-23-2013, 12:26 PM
I would so, so love to visit Gettysburg. I've googled mapped my way round that place, and Washington, until I feel I know the place. I'll get there one day!

‘I’ve danced at Abraham Lincoln’s birthday bash... I’ve peaked.’
Leigh Boswell - The Open Doorway.
http://earthkandi.blogspot.co.uk/