The "Lincoln" film
11-16-2012, 03:44 PM
The "Lincoln" film
Hi all,

I just returned from seeing LINCOLN at the multiplex in Piqua, OH. To use a variation of Julius Caesar, VENI, VIDI, EGO VICTA ERAT! I came, I saw, I was conquered! I don't think there was a dry eye in the house when the film ended; I know mine weren't dry.

Joe
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-16-2012, 05:07 PM
RE: The "Lincoln" film
Vicki and I just returned from the Lincoln movie. I agree 100% with Joe and will add two "firsts."

1. The movie was so good none of the men used the facilities during the movie. For one of the few times in my life I had to wait in a line to take care of business after the movie as everyone headed for the washroom at the same time.

2. All the men in the line were talking about Lincoln. I could not believe it.
11-16-2012, 07:52 PM (This post was last modified: 11-16-2012 07:57 PM by jonathan.)
Just posted this in another thread...

Just got in after catching a mid-afternoon matinee of Lincoln, which I enjoyed thoroughly. I won't try to spoil it for anybody, or put up unreasonable expectations, but I just thought it was very, very good. The movie just looked great, and the acting was excellent all around. I even enjoyed Tommy Lee Jones and James Spader, neither of whom I'm a fan of. But the standout, obviously, was Daniel Day-Lewis. I thought he was just fantastic. I don't keep up with movie awards, but I expect that he'll have a few coming his way. I was happy back when it was announced that Liam Neeson was bowing out and Lewis was taking his place. I've got no fight with Liam, but I can't imagine that he could have topped what Lewis did. Now to sit back and impatiently wait for a nice fat DVD release, hopefully one chock full of behind the scenes extras.

"The interment of John Booth was without trickery or stealth, but no barriers of evidence, no limits of reason ever halted the Great American Myth." - George S. Bryan, The Great American Myth
11-16-2012, 10:24 PM (This post was last modified: 11-16-2012 10:27 PM by Gene C.)
I was sceptical when I went to the theater, but Daniel Day-Lewis was very good. Stanton and Alexander Stevens looked so much like their photo's it was uncanny. And even though I knew what was going to happen, I still had a lump in my throat at the end. (We were dissappointed that Jip did not get at least a walk on role)

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
11-16-2012, 10:35 PM
What were the crowds like at the showings? I worry about small attendance because it's a dreaded HISTORY movie. Our citizens seem to appreciate robots of the future instead of historical figures. I want to see the theaters with long lines waiting to get into this one and packed seats for nearly every show. Am I wishing too hard?
11-16-2012, 10:45 PM (This post was last modified: 11-16-2012 10:51 PM by Gene C.)
I went to the 3:15 Friday afternoon showing. Took my 26 year old son & his girl friend. They seemed to enjoy it.
Mostly 40 year olds and up in the crowd. (Younger people still at work or in school. Theater was about as full as I've seen it for that time of day (around here) Competing with a new Twilight vampire love movie and James Bond.

11-16-2012, 10:56 PM
Unfortunately, my work schedule will prohibit me from seeing it before Thanksgiving, and the weekend after for that matter. Not sure as to the exact date, but I will get there.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
11-16-2012, 11:33 PM
Laurie, the theater I went to was probably a good 75% full for a 3:30 showing. This was in Wake Forest, NC, which is a small but rapidly growing bedroom community right next door to Raleigh. The theater is a pretty nice 12 screener, and Twilight, Bond and Flight all had showtimes within 15 minutes on either side. I should mention that this theater is in a pretty well educated and fairly affluent neighborhood, the kind of place where you would expect a good crowd for this kind of movie, though I was quite surprised that it was so full for a mid afternoon show. Not sure what kind of turnout you would have when you get out of town a little more. I should also mention that at 43 years old, I may have been the youngest person there. It would have been nice to see the under thirty crowd representing a little better, as many kids were out of school and I don't consider 3:00 too early to cut out of work on the Friday before Thanksgiving. Smile

"The interment of John Booth was without trickery or stealth, but no barriers of evidence, no limits of reason ever halted the Great American Myth." - George S. Bryan, The Great American Myth
11-17-2012, 12:26 AM
(11-16-2012 05:07 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Vicki and I just returned from the Lincoln movie. I agree 100% with Joe and will add two "firsts."

1. The movie was so good none of the men used the facilities during the movie. For one of the few times in my life I had to wait in a line to take care of business after the movie as everyone headed for the washroom at the same time.

2. All the men in the line were talking about Lincoln. I could not believe it.

What a movie! This is a must see for everyone. It's almost like going back 147 years and reliving that time in history. Even though this is classified as a "History" movie, it will most certainly attract non-history followers too. With good reviews and simple word of mouth seats will be full in the theaters for quite some time. I'm in my early 50's and noticed quite a few younger people in attendance including a fair amount of high schoolers. Best movie I've seen in many, many years. When the movie was over a good portion of the people gave a standing ovation.
11-17-2012, 10:53 AM
I am so glad to hear the good reviews and substantial audiences. I'm hoping that history teachers across the country will assign the film as extra credit work (viewing and analyzing). That was one thing that I especially appreciated about The Conspirator movie - the producers made teachers' packets available to educators. I wonder how many educators took advantage of them?

I want this movie to blow movie producers and the public out of their seats so that they will consider doing more epics about American history. Our country needs to recognize its own past, take pride in it, strive to produce leaders like some of our past ones, and stop sinking into mediocrity and below.
11-17-2012, 01:01 PM
Yes, like Rob-I won't be able to see the movie until after Thanksgiving due to my work schedule. I'm very glad that the members of this Forum who have seen it thus far give it such positive reviews!

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-17-2012, 01:15 PM (This post was last modified: 11-17-2012 01:17 PM by Larry Mansch.)
(11-17-2012 10:53 AM)L Verge Wrote:  I am so glad to hear the good reviews and substantial audiences. I'm hoping that history teachers across the country will assign the film as extra credit work (viewing and analyzing). That was one thing that I especially appreciated about The Conspirator movie - the producers made teachers' packets available to educators. I wonder how many educators took advantage of them?

I want this movie to blow movie producers and the public out of their seats so that they will consider doing more epics about American history. Our country needs to recognize its own past, take pride in it, strive to produce leaders like some of our past ones, and stop sinking into mediocrity and below.

Laurie, you are reading my mind. I teach Middle School American History and I assigned extra credit for any students who see the movie between now and Christmas. Yesterday I asked for a show of hands, who might see it...and over half of the kids said yes. The movie will be a wonderful educational experience for all of them.
11-18-2012, 08:16 AM
CNN has a nice review of the movie on its web page today. I'm typing this post from my cell phone and am unable to provide a link. Can someone provide it for this Forum?

Bill Nash
11-18-2012, 08:25 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/16/showbiz/mo...?hpt=en_c2

12-01-2012, 08:59 PM
One of my patients is a history teacher. She arranged for the six graders to see the movie as a school project. The concensus among the kids was that the movie was "BORING." I have heard that same sentiment among young folks. Me thinks the young people are fed a lot of Spiderman and other fantasy movies. LINCOLN is "meat"-when the're accustomed to "milk."

Bill Nash