The Astonishing Saber Duel of Abraham Lincoln
08-05-2023, 10:47 AM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2023 09:25 PM by Gene C.)
The Astonishing Saber Duel of Abraham Lincoln
This is a booklet written by James Myers of 40 pages, copyright 1968.

It's an interesting event in Lincoln's life, but "in later years, Mr. Lincoln was so ashamed of the duel as to forbid mention of it in his presence."

In 1842 a series of satirical, insulting and somewhat anonymous letters signed by "Rebecca" attacked a proclamation published and signed by the Governor, State Treasurer and Auditor Shields (all democrats). The proclamation ordered the county tax collectors to refuse the States own paper money in payment of taxes and school debts. Only gold and silver could be accepted.

The letters to the editor of the local newspaper, at times exceeded the customarily sharp, politically motivated letters of the day. But they went a little to far, and Shields felt his character and reputation had been slandered. He was mocked as considering himself a ladies man, with this imaginary quote about himself "dear girls it is distressing, but I can not marry you all. Too well I know how much you suffer, but do, do remember, it is not my fault that I am so handsome and interesting."

At the time, no one knew who wrote the letters, but they primed Shields to explode with anger when the letters became really overbearing.

Who wrote the letters?
"Strangely enough, it is no means certain that Mr. Lincoln wrote any of the Rebecca letters." Mr. Myers, presents what several Lincoln historians theorize about the matter, but when Shields demands that the editor of the Sangamo Journal tell him who wrote the letters, Lincoln allows him to use his name as the author of at least one of the letters.

Shields demands a written apology and retraction. Lincoln refuses to meet the terms of his demands, and things escalate to the point where Shields demands a duel. The two men got more recognition from the duel than they could have possibly obtained otherwise.

Unable to reach a compromise, they meet to fight the dual. On the field of combat, at the last minute, the duel is called off. The booklet goes into some detail as to why it is cancelled, the possible consequence of the events that unfold.

All in all, it's an interesting book of an event in Lincoln's life that most biography's barely mention. I could write more ..., maybe later.

It's available from ABE Books and Amazon, but they don't have much to say about the contents of the book, and no reviews.
https://www.amazon.com/Astonishing-Saber...418&sr=1-1

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2023, 04:26 PM
RE: The Astonishing Saber Duel of Abraham Lincoln
(08-05-2023 10:47 AM)Gene C Wrote:  This is a booklet written by James Myers of 40 pages, copyright 1968.

It's an interesting event in Lincoln's life, but "in later years, Mr. Lincoln was so ashamed of the duel as to forbid mention of it in his presence."

In 1842 a series of satirical, insulting and somewhat anonymous letters signed by "Rebecca" attacked a proclamation published and signed by the Governor, State Treasurer and Auditor Shields (all democrats). The proclamation ordered the county tax collectors to refuse the States own paper money in payment of taxes and school debts. Only gold and silver could be accepted.

The letters to the editor of the local newspaper, at times exceeded the customarily sharp, politically motivated letters of the day. But they went a little to far, and Shields felt his character and reputation had been slandered. He was mocked as considering himself a ladies man, with this imaginary quote about himself "dear girls it is distressing, but I can not marry you all. Too well I know how much you suffer, but do, do remember, it is not my fault that I am so handsome and interesting."

At the time, no one knew who wrote the letters, but they primed Shields to explode with anger when the letters became really overbearing.

Who wrote the letters?
"Strangely enough, it is no means certain that Mr. Lincoln wrote any of the Rebecca letters." Mr. Myers, presents what several Lincoln historians theorize about the matter, but when Shields demands that the editor of the Sangamo Journal tell him who wrote the letters, Lincoln allows him to use his name as the author of at least one of the letters.

Shields demands a written apology and retraction. Lincoln refuses to meet the terms of his demands, and things escalate to the point where Shields demands a duel. The two men got more recognition from the duel than they could have possibly obtained otherwise.

Unable to reach a compromise, they meet to fight the dual. On the field of combat, at the last minute, the duel is called off. The booklet goes into some detail as to why it is cancelled, the possible consequence of the events that unfold.

All in all, it's an interesting book of an event in Lincoln's life that most biography's barely mention. I could write more ..., maybe later.

It's available from ABE Books and Amazon, but the don't have much to say about the contents of the book, and no reviews.
https://www.amazon.com/Astonishing-Saber...418&sr=1-1

Gene,

I purchased that booklet in 1968 and still have it. This topic came up on the symposium several years ago and, while I haven't gone back to look. I might have posted an image of the cover of the booklet.

I move into my new place two weeks from today! I can hardly wait to see my family again after almost 4 months.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply