The real heroes
10-29-2012, 10:12 AM
The real heroes
I just recently bought a book called The Boys War, and it featured this photo. The heading beneath it says, this unknown confederate soldier had his leg shattered whilst fighting, tied a shirt around it, and continued fighting until a bullet took him through the heart. It struck a deep chord in me in that, these people were the real heroes...on both sides. They went into war without question, gave their all and died for it. Nobody erected massive statues to him or hailed him as a saviour of the nation. Poppy Day is coming up here in the UK. I buy my poppy every year, and it's not just about our two massive world wars, but about soldiers like this guy. I've learned so much about the American Civil War these past few months, and this year, my poppy will serve as a mark of respect for the soldiers who fought on both sides of that war. So sad.

[Image: civil-war-soldier-copy.jpg?w=300]

‘I’ve danced at Abraham Lincoln’s birthday bash... I’ve peaked.’
Leigh Boswell - The Open Doorway.
http://earthkandi.blogspot.co.uk/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-29-2012, 11:57 AM
RE: The real heroes
What a wonderful thought, Maddie. I'm sure that people in the UK are reminded each day, just like those of us in the U.S., how the real war is fought by real people - not the politicians and diplomats.

Several years ago, Surratt House worked with two very nice filmmakers, Chris and Heather King of Watermark. At that time, they were producing a video on The Killing of Mary Surratt. They are now working on a film about the tremendous struggles of one young veteran and his wife as they overcome his losing portions of both legs and both arms in our current wars. Most of the scenes will tear your heart out.
10-29-2012, 01:05 PM
Chris and Heather King just joined the discussion group, and I am hoping he'll make a post about this.
10-29-2012, 02:59 PM
(10-29-2012 11:57 AM)L Verge Wrote:  What a wonderful thought, Maddie. I'm sure that people in the UK are reminded each day, just like those of us in the U.S., how the real war is fought by real people - not the politicians and diplomats.

Several years ago, Surratt House worked with two very nice filmmakers, Chris and Heather King of Watermark. At that time, they were producing a video on The Killing of Mary Surratt. They are now working on a film about the tremendous struggles of one young veteran and his wife as they overcome his losing portions of both legs and both arms in our current wars. Most of the scenes will tear your heart out.

that sounds like one to watch out for.

‘I’ve danced at Abraham Lincoln’s birthday bash... I’ve peaked.’
Leigh Boswell - The Open Doorway.
http://earthkandi.blogspot.co.uk/
10-29-2012, 11:49 PM
In the cemetery in Belgium where General George Patton is buried, there are rows and rows of white crosses marking the graves of American soldiers who died in World War Two. What is really striking is that the crosses have the ages of the deceased on them. Most were young when they died-age 18, 19, 20. Once in awhile there is a 25 year old. When I was in the army, we had a sargent who was 25-we called him "old man." It has been pretty much the same in all wars-young men giving their very lives. They are, indeed, the heroes. They would not have thought so-but they are!

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-30-2012, 11:58 AM (This post was last modified: 10-30-2012 01:25 PM by Dawn E Foster.)
(10-29-2012 11:49 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  In the cemetery in Belgium where General George Patton is buried, there are rows and rows of white crosses marking the graves of American soldiers who died in World War Two. What is really striking is that the crosses have the ages of the deceased on them. Most were young when they died-age 18, 19, 20. Once in awhile there is a 25 year old. When I was in the army, we had a sargent who was 25-we called him "old man." It has been pretty much the same in all wars-young men giving their very lives. They are, indeed, the heroes. They would not have thought so-but they are!

My Dad lied about his age somehow, and joined the Marines when he was still a junior in high school during WWII. Thank God he came home though.
10-30-2012, 12:07 PM (This post was last modified: 10-30-2012 12:08 PM by Gene C.)
My father flew a B-17 bomber, shot down in 1943 when he was only 22. He was the "old man" of the crew.
He was the only survivor and spent two years in a German POW camp
http://www.91stbombgroup.com/mary_ruth/Chapter_4.htm (p37 & 43) (No. 437, Frank's Nightmare)

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
10-30-2012, 01:29 PM
http://global.christianpost.com/news/pho...awe-84109/
11-04-2012, 11:17 AM
I have found that "The real Heroes"were and are the soldiers who do not want to talk about what they did or saw in War! I once interviewed my oldest living ancestor about what her grandfather and my greatgrandfather said about the Civil War.She told me that he would say,"I saw too much to talk about it".But,he would always put his uniform on and march in the Memorial Day Parade!
11-04-2012, 11:32 AM
Many of the vets I have talked to tell me one of the other reasons they refrain from talking about the war is that what they went through could not be really understood by someone who was never in a war-or even in the military.

Bill Nash
11-04-2012, 01:30 PM
I was astonished when I talked to owner of a Military Memoribilia store told me about all the"Posers"that buy combat pins and hats.Then they tell people of the various wars they were in.A friend in Viet-Nam got a Purple Heart after falling off a beer truck!-Sad!!!!!
11-04-2012, 02:22 PM
BTW, Herb, you are posting some really great topics for us to discuss - ones that relate the past to the present. Keep 'em coming, please.
11-04-2012, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2012 04:22 PM by J. Beckert.)
You're right about the 'posers', Herb. We just had a guy up here that was a community icon for what he said was his heroic service in Viet Nam exposed for the fraud he is. He ran fundraisers for memorials, was a fixture in every parade and never set foot outside of New Jersey during the war. It was disgraceful.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
11-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Thanks-Laurie and J.Beckert-Posers are everywhere,from youngmen to oldermen!-The most authentic vet I ever met was my 88yr old neighbor.He was in the Big Red 1 in WW2.He was shot 8 times at the Bridge at Remagen.He had an open heart operation a few months before I did.So,I asked him which hurt worst-He said," being shot by a Nazi Burpgun you sissy!"He signed my book"The War","Best of Luck-From a guy who was really there".I gave him a Big Red 1 pin for Christmas.God Rest His Soul!
11-05-2012, 11:23 AM
Great story Herb. Fort Riley, Kansas- home of the Big Red 1. Did you ever go to that Army base?

Bill Nash