A Play about Jennie Gourlay-Ford's Actress
10-23-2012, 04:53 PM (This post was last modified: 10-23-2012 04:56 PM by ForJenniesBenefit.)
A Play about Jennie Gourlay-Ford's Actress

Hello,

I’ve written a one-man show titled “For the BENEFIT if Miss JENNIE GOURLAY” and am excited to share it with you. Jennie Gourlay was a supporting player in the cast of “Our American Cousin” at Ford’s Theatre. This piece is about my finding her name on a handbill at Ford’s and my journey to discover who she was and what happened to her after the assassination of President Lincoln, an event that cancelled a benefit performance she was scheduled to star in on April 15th 1865. I am telling both of our stories actually; I feel a strong identification with this fellow actor whose career path was shifted by events beyond anyone’s control.

Please understand that though I do use humor to tell our stories it is in no way my intention to make light of President Abraham Lincoln’s tragic fate at Ford’s Theatre or to disrespect his memory or the memory of any of the people who were there on that night. I have a deep, surprising and unexplainable love for Miss Jennie Gourlay and my intention in bringing her story to light is to see her acknowledged for her life and her career and remembered as more than just a footnote in history.

I want to invite you to visit the website I’ve created for the piece:

http://www.ForJenniesBenefit.com

There you will find a great deal of information about the show as well as information of some upcoming performances. If anyone here is interested in attending I would be greatly honored, please let me know if I can assist in any way.

Thank you for reading this, thank you for this symposium, and I hope that you will take an interest in my work.

Sincerely,
Billy Hipkins
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-23-2012, 06:01 PM
RE: A Play about Jennie Gourlay-Ford's Actress
Billy, I enjoyed the video you posted, and welcome to the forum. If you read all the posts you will find that many of us have our favorite characters from the Lincoln assassination saga. I wish you all the best with For the BENEFIT of Miss JENNIE GOURLAY.
Find all posts by this user
10-23-2012, 06:44 PM
Beautiful site, Mr. Hipkins !

The play looks wonderful -- Laurie, I'm thinking Surratt Banquet next year....hmmmm!?

Thanks so very much for introducing this to us - and welcome aboard, Mr. Hipkins, I hope you post often! Wink

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
10-23-2012, 07:18 PM
Mr. Hipkins,

Welcome. I just wanted to alert you that we have four members of this forum that are well known for their research on Jeannie Gourlay and her family. You should be able to PM Art Loux, Rich Smyth, Tom Bogar, and Richard Sloan via this site. If not, contact me at laurie.verge@pgparks.com (Surratt House Museum) and I will give you contact information if you wish.
10-23-2012, 07:51 PM
Hello and welcome!
I have lived in Milford, PA for the last 23 years. If you have searched for Ms. Gourlay that search has probably taken through town. I hope to view your play.
10-24-2012, 10:00 AM (This post was last modified: 10-24-2012 10:16 AM by ForJenniesBenefit.)
(10-23-2012 06:01 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Billy, I enjoyed the video you posted, and welcome to the forum. If you read all the posts you will find that many of us have our favorite characters from the Lincoln assassination saga. I wish you all the best with For the BENEFIT of Miss JENNIE GOURLAY.

Thank you! I'm overwhelmed by the immediate and enthusiastic response here. And very grateful.

(10-23-2012 06:44 PM)BettyO Wrote:  Beautiful site, Mr. Hipkins !

The play looks wonderful -- Laurie, I'm thinking Surratt Banquet next year....hmmmm!?

Thanks so very much for introducing this to us - and welcome aboard, Mr. Hipkins, I hope you post often! Wink

Thank you so much! I'm grateful for the support and enthusiasm here. I'll do my best to keep you all up to date on Miss Jennie Gourlay.

(10-23-2012 06:44 PM)BettyO Wrote:  Beautiful site, Mr. Hipkins !

Thank you so much! I'm grateful for the support and enthusiasm here. I'll do my best to keep you all up to date on Miss Jennie Gourlay.

(10-23-2012 07:18 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Mr. Hipkins,

Welcome. I just wanted to alert you that we have four members of this forum that are well known for their research on Jeannie Gourlay and her family. You should be able to PM Art Loux, Rich Smyth, Tom Bogar, and Richard Sloan via this site. If not, contact me at laurie.verge@pgparks.com (Surratt House Museum) and I will give you contact information if you wish.

Thank you so much Laurie, the immediate and enthusiastic response I've received here is overwhelming and greatly appreciated! I've already heard from Richard Sloan and am about to respond. Next I will message the other members you've suggested. I'm anxious to share information on Jeannie and very happy to have found you all.

(10-23-2012 07:51 PM)Rsmyth Wrote:  Hello and welcome!
I have lived in Milford, PA for the last 23 years. If you have searched for Ms. Gourlay that search has probably taken through town. I hope to view your play.

Thank you so much! Yes, I have visited beautiful Milford and the Columns where I was allowed to spend time with Jeannie Gourlay-Struthers costumes that are housed there. I also went to the Milford cemetery to visit her grave. All of this was of course very moving to me. I am happy to report that both the president of the Pike County Historical Society and the curator of the Columns will be attending my performance here in NYC on 11/14. I am hoping to bring the show to the Columns if we all agree that this would be possible. I will let you know how this unfolds!

Thank you so much! Yes, I have visited beautiful Milford and the Columns where I was allowed to spend time with Jeannie Gourlay-Struthers costumes that are housed there. I also went to the Milford cemetery to visit her grave. All of this was of course very moving to me. I am happy to report that both the president of the Pike County Historical Society and the curator of the Columns will be attending my performance here in NYC on 11/14. I am hoping to bring the show to the Columns if we all agree that this would be possible. I will let you know how this unfolds!

10-24-2012, 02:04 PM
I know them both well Mr. Hipkins. I use to be a docent at the historical society.
10-24-2012, 11:51 PM
Ah. This piece couldn't have been written without information they graciously sent me and a truly moving visit I had to the Columns. I'll be curious to hear what they think of my efforts.
10-25-2012, 05:03 AM (This post was last modified: 10-25-2012 05:07 AM by RJNorton.)
Billy, I realize this is a long shot, as the two women were in different professions, but in your research on Jennie, did you ever come across a photo of Ella Starr Turner? Many of us have looked in vain for an authentic photo of her. She called herself Nellie Starr when she talked to police after the assassination.