Death and the Civil War
09-18-2012, 10:37 AM
Death and the Civil War
American Experience debuts a documentary tonight based on Drew Gilpin Faust's This Republic of Suffering on death and the Civil War. Here is a preview.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-18-2012, 10:55 AM
RE: Death and the Civil War
Thanks Rob, I just finished reading this book about two weeks ago, it was fascinating. The TV episode looks good.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
09-18-2012, 11:00 AM
Gene,

It's on my list to read (which grows longer and longer each day) but I haven't gotten to it. Some day.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
09-18-2012, 11:47 AM
(09-18-2012 10:37 AM)Rob Wick Wrote:  American Experience debuts a documentary tonight based on Drew Gilpin Faust's This Republic of Suffering on death and the Civil War. Here is a preview.

Best
Rob

I have this book. Haven't got round to reading it yet though.

‘I’ve danced at Abraham Lincoln’s birthday bash... I’ve peaked.’
Leigh Boswell - The Open Doorway.
http://earthkandi.blogspot.co.uk/
09-18-2012, 11:55 AM
Speaking of Civil War deaths and suffering, I hope everyone took a moment yesterday to remember the 23,000 casualties at Antietam (Sharpsburg, Maryland) on September 17, 1862 - the bloodiest single day's battle of the American Civil War.
09-19-2012, 08:09 AM
The documentary was excellent. Having read the book recently, it was great to hear the words from the book on the screen while viewing pictures. I thought it was very well done.

Laurie: thanks for mentioning remembering the horrific losses at Antietam. I also reflect that it was that specific battle that moved Lincoln to go forward with what would eventually result in the Emancipation Proclamation.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-19-2012, 08:24 AM
I taped it, which I usually do when things like this are aired, and I will watch it at my leisure later on. I spent too much time with Ida last night.

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
09-19-2012, 10:29 AM
What does your wife think of that? Smile

Bill Nash
09-19-2012, 10:56 AM
Excellent! I was going to tape it, but ran out of DVD's....I think it's scheduled to air again soon - so I'll tape it or just buy the DVD --

We used the book as a text book for a class I took two years ago - a definite "Must Read!"

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
09-19-2012, 11:18 AM
(09-19-2012 10:29 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  What does your wife think of that? Smile

She was too busy watching the inside of her eyelids.Smile

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
09-20-2012, 08:10 AM
We used to say when a person was sleeping that he or she was "checking for holes inside the eyelids."

Bill Nash