Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Death and the Civil War - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Other (/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Death and the Civil War (/thread-349.html)

Death and the Civil War - Rob Wick - 09-18-2012 10:37 AM

American Experience debuts a documentary tonight based on Drew Gilpin Faust's This Republic of Suffering on death and the Civil War. Here is a preview.

Best
Rob

RE: Death and the Civil War - Gene C - 09-18-2012 10:55 AM

Thanks Rob, I just finished reading this book about two weeks ago, it was fascinating. The TV episode looks good.

RE: Death and the Civil War - Rob Wick - 09-18-2012 11:00 AM

Gene,

It's on my list to read (which grows longer and longer each day) but I haven't gotten to it. Some day.

Best
Rob

RE: Death and the Civil War - MaddieM - 09-18-2012 11:47 AM

(09-18-2012 10:37 AM)Rob Wick Wrote:  American Experience debuts a documentary tonight based on Drew Gilpin Faust's This Republic of Suffering on death and the Civil War. Here is a preview.

Best
Rob

I have this book. Haven't got round to reading it yet though.

RE: Death and the Civil War - Laurie Verge - 09-18-2012 11:55 AM

Speaking of Civil War deaths and suffering, I hope everyone took a moment yesterday to remember the 23,000 casualties at Antietam (Sharpsburg, Maryland) on September 17, 1862 - the bloodiest single day's battle of the American Civil War.

RE: Death and the Civil War - LincolnMan - 09-19-2012 08:09 AM

The documentary was excellent. Having read the book recently, it was great to hear the words from the book on the screen while viewing pictures. I thought it was very well done.

Laurie: thanks for mentioning remembering the horrific losses at Antietam. I also reflect that it was that specific battle that moved Lincoln to go forward with what would eventually result in the Emancipation Proclamation.

RE: Death and the Civil War - Rob Wick - 09-19-2012 08:24 AM

I taped it, which I usually do when things like this are aired, and I will watch it at my leisure later on. I spent too much time with Ida last night.

Best
Rob

RE: Death and the Civil War - LincolnMan - 09-19-2012 10:29 AM

What does your wife think of that? Smile

RE: Death and the Civil War - BettyO - 09-19-2012 10:56 AM

Excellent! I was going to tape it, but ran out of DVD's....I think it's scheduled to air again soon - so I'll tape it or just buy the DVD --

We used the book as a text book for a class I took two years ago - a definite "Must Read!"

RE: Death and the Civil War - Rob Wick - 09-19-2012 11:18 AM

(09-19-2012 10:29 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  What does your wife think of that? Smile

She was too busy watching the inside of her eyelids.Smile

Best
Rob

RE: Death and the Civil War - LincolnMan - 09-20-2012 08:10 AM

We used to say when a person was sleeping that he or she was "checking for holes inside the eyelids."