Congrats Roger and your beloved Cubbies
10-23-2016, 07:00 AM
Congrats Roger and your beloved Cubbies
Is this THE year? It is my fondest wish for you that it is. Is this the first time in your lifetime?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-23-2016, 09:29 AM
RE: Congrats Roger and your beloved Cubbies
Joe, I just got up. I finally got to sleep at about 4:30 A.M., and slept until 9. Easily the most unbelievable event in an old Cubs' fan's lifetime. I really no words to describe. Finally the incredible heartbreak of 2003 is erased in my heart. I will actually be less tense during the World Series than during the playoffs as just seeing them get there was so overwhelming I do not believe anything beyond can top it.

(Joe, I was 2 in 1945, so it's not the first World Series in my lifetime. I knew my mom and dad were excited about the Cubs, but I was too young to really be aware of what was going on.)

(Dan, thanks for your note. I was hoping so much for Cubs/Red Sox, but it's not to be.)
10-23-2016, 09:35 AM
(10-23-2016 07:00 AM)JB Banning Wrote:  Is this THE year? It is my fondest wish for you that it is.
Agreed - congrats so far, and way to go, Cubs! Fingers and paws are kept crossed over here!
10-23-2016, 05:59 PM
Roger. I also want to send you my congratulations, even though I am a nominal Dodger fan.
10-24-2016, 12:25 PM
Amazing - I just received word from my daughter - they have made Cubs' caps for the bronze lions to wear at the Art Institute of Chicago.

[Image: larger.jpg]

(Roger, I am sorry about your Dodgers. It was a great series.)
10-24-2016, 06:53 PM (This post was last modified: 10-24-2016 06:54 PM by Rob Wick.)
So the Cubs are in the World Series, huh?

I fully expect the following now to happen.

1. The letters between Abraham Lincoln and Dr. Daniel Drake AND Lincoln's medical file will be discovered.

2. Wilma Minor's letters will be proven genuine.

3. A manuscript copy of Edwin Stanton's How I Conspired to Kill Lincoln will be discovered and verified.

4. Love letters between Mary Todd Lincoln and William Herndon will surface with Mary calling Herndon "my little pookie poo."

5. I will actually get a book written AND published in the foreseeable future.

Enjoy it for all it's worth, Roger.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
10-24-2016, 08:26 PM (This post was last modified: 10-25-2016 09:16 AM by brtmchl.)
Congratulations Roger from a Sox fan. Cubs and Indians should be a fun one to watch. Both are really good teams that play great defense.

Both are also fun enemies of Sox fans....so I am glad that one of their World Series dreams will expire.

Good luck!

Abe would have been 99 I believe the last time the Cubs won.

" Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford
10-25-2016, 05:51 AM
Mike, I actually spent 4 years cheering for the Cleveland Indians. I went to college in Ohio, and because the Indians are in the American League, I cheered for them at that time. (no interleague play in those days)

Rob, I hope number five comes true. As for the other four, my favorite would be number one. I cannot remember where, but I think I read it was Drake who may have first suggested blue mass to Lincoln. This might be proved/unproved if we had the letters. I have been curious about how Lincoln first started on blue mass.
10-25-2016, 07:53 AM (This post was last modified: 10-25-2016 07:57 AM by Gene C.)
(10-25-2016 05:51 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  I have been curious about how Lincoln first started on blue mass.

I don't know when Lincoln started, but Kennedy took them too!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMv66Dw1WcM

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
10-25-2016, 09:13 AM
Roger, congratulations! I sincerely hope the Cubbies win (and this from a serious Cardinals fan)! I remember the 50's-60's teams of Santo, Kessinger, Beckert, Williams, Jenkins, and Banks. I always thought those guys deserved better. But Saturday night, Billy Williams did remember them.

BTW, I read/heard recently that Jack Brickhouse missed the 1945 WS because he was a Marine. I didn't know that.
10-25-2016, 12:32 PM
Dave, I am older than you - I grew up with names like Eddie Miksis, Roy Smalley, Hal Jeffcoat, and Dee Fondy. Like you I did not know that Jack Brickhouse missed the 1945 Series.
11-03-2016, 06:34 AM
What A Game!

Big Grin

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
11-03-2016, 07:40 AM
Congrats - your well deserved trivia prize:
http://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussio...e#pid24982
11-03-2016, 09:52 AM
Congrats, Roger! I'm really happy for you. These Cubs are, finally, the real thing!

Anheuser Busch, through some clever editing, has found a way for Harry Caray to announce the win: http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metro...02a53.html (You may have to copy and paste this into your browser.)

Although it's always been somewhat difficult for me to accept Harry as a Cubs' announcer, I think this is close to what he would have said.

Bill Murray wants Chicago mayor Rahm Emanuel to let out Chicago schools for the rest of the week. Bet teachers will still have to go in.
11-03-2016, 10:42 AM
I am one tired teacher today and none of my coworkers here in Maryland care in the slightest, but that was an amazing game to watch with the perfect outcome for this son and grandson of very devoted Cubs fans. In true Cubs fashion there were several moments last night where I feared we were going to lose it, but, when the moment really counted, the Cubbies brought it home.

108 years is such a long drought. It's amazing to think about the people in our history that were around back then. The last time this happened, John Surratt was alive and well as a sprightly man of 64.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user