What's wrong with this President Lincoln standee?
08-23-2012, 03:52 PM
What's wrong with this President Lincoln standee?
[Image: 004150x150.jpg]

I saw this Lincoln standee in a museum here in Michigan (which I will not identify). Looks rather odd doesn't it?

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-23-2012, 05:17 PM
RE: What's wrong with this President Lincoln standee?
(08-23-2012 03:52 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  [Image: 004150x150.jpg]

I saw this Lincoln standee in a museum here in Michigan (which I will not identify). Looks rather odd doesn't it?

Bill -- either you're VERY tall....or that Lincoln is very short!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
08-23-2012, 05:26 PM (This post was last modified: 08-23-2012 05:41 PM by Gene C.)
They switched Lincoln heads. The one full figured, was before he had a beard.

http://clevelandcivilwarroundtable.com/a...veland.htm

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
08-23-2012, 05:34 PM
I'm 6' 4" -the same height as the real Lincoln. The standee is about 6'2." So Betty you're correct in questioning the height of it-but that wasn't what I was having a problem with. Gene: you're correct. The makers of the thing have taken Lincoln's head when he was President and placed it on Lincoln's body from a photo before he was President. Forum members: this is really where you can help me out. Please identify the years of the two photos-and information you might have on them.

Bill Nash
08-23-2012, 07:31 PM
(08-23-2012 05:34 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  I'm 6' 4" -the same height as the real Lincoln. The standee is about 6'2." So Betty you're correct in questioning the height of it-but that wasn't what I was having a problem with. Gene: you're correct. The makers of the thing have taken Lincoln's head when he was President and placed it on Lincoln's body from a photo before he was President. Forum members: this is really where you can help me out. Please identify the years of the two photos-and information you might have on them.

Lincoln's body is from the Douglas Debate? Am I correct? I'm really more of an assassination person....but it seems I've seen the young Lincoln's body in the Douglas Debate where he is holding the paper?

Also the head is taken from an 1863-1864 image???

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
08-23-2012, 10:24 PM
According to "Lincoln, A Picture Story of his Life" by Stefan Lorant...the body shot was taken in the summer of 1860, in Springfield, photographer unknown. Not sure about the head. Looks like 1863 by Matthew Brady.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
08-24-2012, 07:24 AM
(08-23-2012 05:34 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Forum members: this is really where you can help me out. Please identify the years of the two photos-and information you might have on them.

The body is listed in Ostendorf's book (Lincoln's Photographs, 1988) as O-31 on page 389, taken in the summer of 1860 by an unknown photographer. The head is O-86, page 406, taken by Mathew Brady on January 8, 1864.
08-24-2012, 08:34 AM
Thanks everyone! 1860 and 1864 they are! Why do you suppose the makers of the standee composed it as such?

Bill Nash
08-24-2012, 07:29 PM
Bill,
My guess is that they wanted a bearded lincoln since that is the most popular likeness.

Craig
08-25-2012, 07:15 AM
Craig: indeed. You're probably correct. The general public is unaware that Lincoln did not have a beard most of his life!

Bill Nash
08-31-2012, 04:40 PM
I thought it was Bill's lips were moving, but AL's were not.