New View of Surratt Tavern
09-04-2014, 07:11 AM
New View of Surratt Tavern
This image was taken in 1920 - I've never seen this photo of Surratt Tavern before. Anyone else?

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2014, 07:16 AM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2014 07:17 AM by Gene C.)
RE: New View of Surratt Tavern
Very nice Betty. Is there an interesting story behind how you found it? I would not have recognized it as the Surratt Tavern had you not said so, what clued you in? How was the building be used then, as a private residence?

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
09-04-2014, 07:29 AM
Quote:I would not have recognized it as the Surratt Tavern had you not said so, what clued you in? How was the building be used then, as a private residence?

I was doing some research online and this just popped up. It's definitely Surratt Tavern as far as I know. I've seen similar old late 19th Century/early 20th Century photos of the house with the porch across the front and the then "ginger-bread" mill-work trim. Never seen the front gate in any view, though. There is a similar photo in Oldroyd.....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
09-04-2014, 07:42 AM
I have seen that picture before. I am sure Laurie will respond. The man pictured is a former owner of the tavern.
09-04-2014, 07:55 PM
Rich is correct; we have that photo in our archives, and the gentleman is Mr. Penn, who owned the house from the 1920s to 1937.
09-04-2014, 08:21 PM
It's also on Dave Taylor's BoothieBarn

http://boothiebarn.com/picture-galleries...tt-tavern/

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
09-05-2014, 08:23 AM
Thanks, ya'll! This was a new one on me.....