Lincoln Discussion Symposium
New View of Surratt Tavern - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Assassination (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: New View of Surratt Tavern (/thread-1892.html)

New View of Surratt Tavern - BettyO - 09-04-2014 07:11 AM

This image was taken in 1920 - I've never seen this photo of Surratt Tavern before. Anyone else?

[attachment=901]

RE: New View of Surratt Tavern - Gene C - 09-04-2014 07:16 AM

Very nice Betty. Is there an interesting story behind how you found it? I would not have recognized it as the Surratt Tavern had you not said so, what clued you in? How was the building be used then, as a private residence?

RE: New View of Surratt Tavern - BettyO - 09-04-2014 07:29 AM

Quote:I would not have recognized it as the Surratt Tavern had you not said so, what clued you in? How was the building be used then, as a private residence?

I was doing some research online and this just popped up. It's definitely Surratt Tavern as far as I know. I've seen similar old late 19th Century/early 20th Century photos of the house with the porch across the front and the then "ginger-bread" mill-work trim. Never seen the front gate in any view, though. There is a similar photo in Oldroyd.....

RE: New View of Surratt Tavern - Rsmyth - 09-04-2014 07:42 AM

I have seen that picture before. I am sure Laurie will respond. The man pictured is a former owner of the tavern.

RE: New View of Surratt Tavern - L Verge - 09-04-2014 07:55 PM

Rich is correct; we have that photo in our archives, and the gentleman is Mr. Penn, who owned the house from the 1920s to 1937.

RE: New View of Surratt Tavern - Gene C - 09-04-2014 08:21 PM

It's also on Dave Taylor's BoothieBarn

http://boothiebarn.com/picture-galleries/surratt-tavern/

RE: New View of Surratt Tavern - BettyO - 09-05-2014 08:23 AM

Thanks, ya'll! This was a new one on me.....