Six More Weeks of Winter
02-02-2014, 08:43 AM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2014 08:43 AM by BettyO.)
Six More Weeks of Winter
Punxsutawney Phil predicted six more weeks of winter this morning.... and it's bright and sunny in VA so I guess the Southern Groundhogs are doing the same. Calling for MORE snow tomorrow - and I just washed all the snow chemical gunk off my car yesterday!

http://www.groundhog.org/

Happy Ground Hog Day everyone!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2014, 09:27 AM
RE: Six More Weeks of Winter
(02-02-2014 08:43 AM)BettyO Wrote:  Happy Ground Hog Day everyone!

Didn't we talk about this yesterday?
Big Grin

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
02-02-2014, 01:03 PM
I heard his home resembles Gene's study and he didn't want to leave it.
02-05-2014, 11:06 AM
We are getting"pounded"16"with snow today!I am not going out-even in my Subaru! Western New York's Winter's are too harsh at my age!
02-20-2014, 01:35 PM
As I sit by my window looking out at my back yard with bronchitis- the snow is deep. But what is it doing in Michigan right now? Raining! We are going to have a bad season for floods this year, for sure. I live near the Clinton River- and it will flood all over the place. How many more weeks of winter?

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-20-2014, 02:29 PM
Get well soon, Bill!

I absolutely love snow and am excited when we get it... However, I think we've had enough.... I really am looking forward to Spring now (but NOT summer!)

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
02-20-2014, 03:33 PM (This post was last modified: 02-20-2014 03:38 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
(02-20-2014 01:35 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  As I sit by my window looking out at my back yard with bronchitis- the snow is deep.
Yes, get well soon, Bill! (Saw the first snowdrops and crocuses today, very early this year, but I hope winter is over.)
02-20-2014, 04:07 PM (This post was last modified: 02-20-2014 06:14 PM by Gene C.)
Bill, sorry to hear your back yard has bronchtis.

Just remember this, while your enjoying the beauty of your winter wonderland, the moonlight sparkling on the snow, sipping on your microwave hot chocloate, looking through the mail at your heating bill, feeling a cold draft snaking its way through every crack and crevice, and finally sliding down the back of your neck, it's a partly cloudy mid 80's afternoon down in RogerLand.

However, if you want to head down to the sunny south for some sun and fun be careful. According to this insurance article, 1 in four dirivers in FL have no auto insurance
http://www.bradenton.com/2014/02/18/4999...natee.html

So what year was the baaadddd winter storm in central IL, during Lincoln's time, and how bad was it?

02-20-2014, 04:34 PM
(02-20-2014 04:07 PM)Gene C Wrote:  So what year was the baaadddd winter storm in central IL, during Lincoln's time, and how bad was it?

I think it was the winter of 1830-1831, but I don't know the amount/depth.
02-20-2014, 05:56 PM
(02-20-2014 04:07 PM)Gene C Wrote:  Bill, sorry to hear your back yard has bronchtis.

Just remember this, while your enjoying the beauty of your winter wonderland, the moonlight sparkling on the snow, sipping on your microwave hot chocloate, looking through the mail at your heating bill, a cold draft snaking its way through every crack and crevice, and finally sliding down the back of your neck, it's a partly cloudy mid 80's afternoon down in RogerLand.

However, if you want to head down to the sunny south for some sun and fun be careful. According to this insurance article, 1 in four dirivers in FL have no auto insurance
http://www.bradenton.com/2014/02/18/4999...natee.html

So what year was the baaadddd winter storm in central IL, during Lincoln's time, and how bad was it?

Gene: you sure know how to make a sick fellow feel better-not! Smile

Bill Nash
02-20-2014, 06:09 PM
That's correct Roger. It was so cold that year, if you walked outside and had tears in your eyes they would freeze shut.
It was so cold, that when you opened the cabin door, the candle would freeze.
It was so cold, even the polar bears were wearing buffalo robes.
It was so cold, the dairy cows were only giving ice cream.

Congratualtion Roger, you win this bookmark of my favotite photo of Abraham Lincoln. Just click, print, and trim to size.
http://www.archives.gov/historical-docs/...-photo.pdf

02-20-2014, 06:14 PM
Which reminds me of this question:

A man has built a house which has four sides and all the windows face south. There is a polar bear walking in his yard. Where is the house located?

Bill Nash
02-20-2014, 08:02 PM (This post was last modified: 02-20-2014 08:05 PM by Gene C.)
(02-20-2014 04:34 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(02-20-2014 04:07 PM)Gene C Wrote:  So what year was the baaadddd winter storm in central IL, during Lincoln's time, and how bad was it?

I think it was the winter of 1830-1831, but I don't know the amount/depth.

"Between Christmas 1830 and New Years Day 1831, a horrible blizzard devastated the land. When it cleared, three feet of snow blanketed the prairies. Then came a rain, with weather so cold that it froze as it fell, forming a crust of ice over this three feet of snow, nearly, if not quite, strong enough to support a man. For two weeks, temperatures never surpassed twelve below, and the Deep Snow as pioneers called it, lingered for more than two months. In all, thirty one snows fell during that legendary winter."

from "The Young Eagle" by Kenneth Winkle p.28

02-20-2014, 08:59 PM
I went to college in the mountains of western Maryland where the first snowfall was usually in mid-October and continued until mid-April. In January of 1964, we woke up trapped in our dorms because the snow was blocking the doors from opening until the Jeep snowplows could clear paths.

The temperature at one point that week dipped to 27 below. You could not breathe through your nose because it was frozen inside as well as out. Our campus was on about three levels, some of which were joined by outside stairways. The stairs would fill with snow as fast as they could be cleared, so we literally pulled ourselves from one level to the other by hanging onto the railings. Plus, the wind howled most of the time because the campus was actually in a valley coming off a mountain that was properly named - Big Savage. How I lasted for four years, I have no idea.
02-20-2014, 09:51 PM
I read that the Farmers Almanac predicted this type of winter but the climatologists predicted just the opposite.