Replica Gutta Percha/Union Cases
12-18-2013, 07:16 PM
Replica Gutta Percha/Union Cases
I have spent the past two years researching and experimenting on how to reproduce Gutta Percha/Union cases accurately. I tried at least three-dozen different materials to use to make the cases. One example was in making the padded top panel covered in red fabric and a gold imprint in the middle. I tried velvet, crushed velvet, microfiber flannel, 100% cotton, as well as several different types of paint – acrylic, oil, fabric, floral, hobby, aerosol and more. The end result was only a small amount of the paint would make the transfer to the fabric. Doing more research, I discovered that almost ALL fabrics today are coated with a special liquid to help prevent staining of the fabric and come out of the washing machine ready-to-wear. I finally located and special-ordered a yard of material without the coating. It only comes in white so I had to dye it red. This did not work either. But I finally found a method that would work. (Should I patent it?)
My cases are NOT mass-produced in China. Rather, I make each one-by-one in my home much like the original cases were made one-hundred-and-sixty-years ago. I am now offering them for sale and have opened an online store. Please take a look at http://www.historybuff.com/store/index.html I have very few ready-to-go so, order by Friday if you want it in time for a Christmas present to a loved one! Later orders will take a few days to produce and mail. For each one it can take over one-hour to hands-on with hours in between stages for drying time, etc.

"Thank you for the photo-on-glass of myself, a fine bit of craftsmanship though the subject is not meritorious or old enough to have deserved one. I had heard that people could do this nowadays; and here is proof." James Cornelius, Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library, Springfield, Illinois

Rick Brown
HistoryBuff.com
A Nonprofit Organization

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-18-2013, 07:26 PM
RE: Replica Gutta Percha/Union Cases
Rick sent two samples to Surratt House recently, including one "modern" image of two of my staff members in period dress. The cases are very nicely done.
Find all posts by this user
12-18-2013, 10:52 PM
RE: Replica Gutta Percha/Union Cases
Rick did the same for me- the result was outstanding.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user