Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Replica Gutta Percha/Union Cases - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Other (/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Replica Gutta Percha/Union Cases (/thread-1385.html)

Replica Gutta Percha/Union Cases - historybuff22 - 12-18-2013 07:16 PM

I have spent the past two years researching and experimenting on how to reproduce Gutta Percha/Union cases accurately. I tried at least three-dozen different materials to use to make the cases. One example was in making the padded top panel covered in red fabric and a gold imprint in the middle. I tried velvet, crushed velvet, microfiber flannel, 100% cotton, as well as several different types of paint – acrylic, oil, fabric, floral, hobby, aerosol and more. The end result was only a small amount of the paint would make the transfer to the fabric. Doing more research, I discovered that almost ALL fabrics today are coated with a special liquid to help prevent staining of the fabric and come out of the washing machine ready-to-wear. I finally located and special-ordered a yard of material without the coating. It only comes in white so I had to dye it red. This did not work either. But I finally found a method that would work. (Should I patent it?)
My cases are NOT mass-produced in China. Rather, I make each one-by-one in my home much like the original cases were made one-hundred-and-sixty-years ago. I am now offering them for sale and have opened an online store. Please take a look at http://www.historybuff.com/store/index.html I have very few ready-to-go so, order by Friday if you want it in time for a Christmas present to a loved one! Later orders will take a few days to produce and mail. For each one it can take over one-hour to hands-on with hours in between stages for drying time, etc.

"Thank you for the photo-on-glass of myself, a fine bit of craftsmanship though the subject is not meritorious or old enough to have deserved one. I had heard that people could do this nowadays; and here is proof." James Cornelius, Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library, Springfield, Illinois

Rick Brown
HistoryBuff.com
A Nonprofit Organization

RE: Replica Gutta Percha/Union Cases - L Verge - 12-18-2013 07:26 PM

Rick sent two samples to Surratt House recently, including one "modern" image of two of my staff members in period dress. The cases are very nicely done.

RE: Replica Gutta Percha/Union Cases - LincolnMan - 12-18-2013 10:52 PM

Rick did the same for me- the result was outstanding.